lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Exhaust restriction

Got to looking under my 99 workhorse 800 series and noticed the end of the exhaust tube looked odd. Laid my cell phone on the ground and got a picture of the end of the tube. Unfortunately I have a new phone, kid got a new one so I get the old one, and I have no idea how to e mail myself a picture. And kid isn't here to give me instructions

Tried my camera, but the end of the tube was too close to the camera. So I took one from the top. Better then nothing.

The hole on the end of the tube is the length of the tube, but probably just over 1/4 inch wide, give or take a bit. So basically a hole an inch plus long by just over 1/4 inch wide. Small enough you can't get the tip of your little finger in it.

Will this hurt the engine, and will it limit the power I'm getting from the engine?

Thanks for the help.

reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Re: Exhaust restriction

Figured out how to get the first picture. This shows the restriction. So do I need to get out my hacksaw?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Ccs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I would run it
Ccs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
williamjr55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cut it back..a unrestricted muffler has a approximatly 1" dia hole..the restriction will not help performance
williamjr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
reinman88
Gone Wild

Well, I'll probably do both. I'll run it a couple of days until I have more time to work on it.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Mate,

I had the same style of exhaust and did the mod in the tech section below

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-gas-tech/13188-stock-muffler-mod-4-stroke-carts.html

Runs and sounds so much better now

Aussie Workhorse.
Aussie Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
Hi Mate,

I had the same style of exhaust and did the mod in the tech section below

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...oke-carts.html

Runs and sounds so much better now
Will that make it louder?

Since I'll use this as my hunting cart, I'd just as soon it stay as quiet as possible. Of course I'm using a 4 wheeler now and the cart is already much quieter then that, so a little louder wouldn't hurt.

I may have to give serious consideration to getting rid of that beep beep beep whenever I back up.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinman88 View Post
Will that make it louder?

Since I'll use this as my hunting cart, I'd just as soon it stay as quiet as possible. Of course I'm using a 4 wheeler now and the cart is already much quieter then that, so a little louder wouldn't hurt.

I may have to give serious consideration to getting rid of that beep beep beep whenever I back up.

I did not find it much louder IMO but I do not hunt, I did notice my cart ran much better and with a bit more power.

As to the beep beep beep you can just pull of one of the wires to the beeper.

Just be careful as it is easy to take off thinking you are going forward and go backwards. Trees,Woods = a long walk home if you get it wrong....

Aussie Workhorse.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
I did not find it much louder IMO but I do not hunt, I did notice my cart ran much better and with a bit more power.
I had read the thread you posted about the muffler change. Just now I went back and read the first thread where this came up. Most of the discussion was about how a header wasn't going to help. Basically it said the header give less restriction so while it was louder that didn't necessarily mean more speed or power. It stated this engine actually needed some restriction to gain power.

If this is the case, then opening it up more shouldn't gain me much if anything. At least that is what I gained by reading the thread concerning headers.

Isn't it about your bed time over there? My ex father in law lives near Sydney, so there was a time I knew the time difference.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #10
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

With out getting to into it they were talking about some of the sports type exhausts that are available on the market. These just make more noise and give the impression that you are going faster.

Too much flow is no good too little will not let your motor breath. As I said IMO it worked well for me.

I can post a picture if you like I went a pipe just under 1 1/2 inches.

Yes it was getting late so you were on the mark in saying bed time as it was almost midnight when I replied last.

Either way you decide to go I would at the very least cut off the pinched in part by cutting off a small section and go from there.

Aussie Workhorse.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO