lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
beyondbitty
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Level of Difficulty for Modifying

I just purchased a 2004 Club Car Precedent and although it already has a lift with 12" wheels which I want it is not quite fast enough. The batteries are from 2008 and beyond that I do not know what other information to post. My question seems simple and I hope the answers are as well My son and I are going to use this cart for camgrounds and I want to speed it up. I have absolutely no clue on where to start or if this is completely out of the question for me to attempt. I would really appreciate any feedback on the specifics of what I need to do or if this is something I definitely do not want to attempt on my own.

Thanks in advance!!
beyondbitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Level of Difficulty for Modifying

You have options based on what you want to spend . . swap out motor and controller and cables or take unit to local CC dealer to have speed code 4 programmed into it . . . others will provide info on motor/controller recommendations . . . speed code 4 runs about $100-125, depending on locale . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
beyondbitty
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I forgot to mention that I am a female. NOTTT that females are not capable of great things but I am starting from 0 on knowledge. LOL I would like to say that I did the modifications on my own but do not want to get in over the head either.

If I opted for the speed code 4 do you have any idea how much that would increase the speed?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I believe it is 19 mph. Probably the least expensive thing you can do to improve top end.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbitty View Post
I just purchased a 2004 Club Car Precedent and although it already has a lift with 12" wheels which I want it is not quite fast enough. The batteries are from 2008 and beyond that I do not know what other information to post. My question seems simple and I hope the answers are as well My son and I are going to use this cart for camgrounds and I want to speed it up. I have absolutely no clue on where to start or if this is completely out of the question for me to attempt. I would really appreciate any feedback on the specifics of what I need to do or if this is something I definitely do not want to attempt on my own.

Thanks in advance!!
Fastest, easiest way is to just exchange your stock motor with a PlumQuick Purple Bandit motor, time to do this "might" take 1 hour. Speed increase around 23-24 MPH. Anyone should be able to do this as long as you just be cautious about making sure your batteries are disconnected first. I'll leave you with some directions here... (it looks and sounds harder they it really is):

Put Tow/Run switch in Tow position.
Locate and remove main negative lead from battery pack Locate and remove main positive lead from battery pack.
Make sure you write down where the 4 wires go that are currently on your motor. (could take picture to be sure)
Remove 4 wires on your current motor using 2 wrenches to make sure you don't spin contact terminals.
Remove 3 bolts going from your motor to your case Remove 1 bolt from motor hold down bracket, (larger bolt then the other three from case.) Pull out old motor, being careful of its weight when it will drop, around 50 pounds.
(If old motor is stuck use rubber mallet on end of motor case and hit back of motor TOWARDS axle case to help loosen.)
Clean up inside of axle case and lightly lube shaft with a moly-teflon lubricant.
Put new motor on shaft and slide to case.
(MAKE SURE motor is flush with case before bolting to case!)
Replace all bolts, do not over torque them. Replace all wires back to original position using 2 wrenches to make sure you don't spin contact terminals.
Replace positive lead back to battery pack Replace negative lead back to battery pack Put Tow/Run switch back to run.
Get in your cart, hit the pedal a couple of times testing drive and reverse and your done.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
beyondbitty
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If I wanted to bump the speed up faster and/or modify the torque how much $ am I going to need as well as my frustration level of getting this done?

Thanks for responding to my questions : ))
Old 09-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I believe it is 19 mph. Probably the least expensive thing you can do to improve top end.
Scotty is correct, around 19.7 for Personal Code 4. You could also get a SpeedyLink from one of our sponsors on BGW that will take you to around 20 MPH and that is a very simple procedure to do yourself.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbitty View Post
If I wanted to bump the speed up faster and/or modify the torque how much $ am I going to need as well as my frustration level of getting this done?

Thanks for responding to my questions : ))
PlumQuick will run $225 plus $25 shipping and another $50 if you don't use your motor as a "core".

The frustration level of getting it done is shown in my previous post. You do not have to swap out your controller or upgrade your cables if you're just doing a PQ motor. I still use the stock controller with mine.

If you want to get lots more torque then a controller and wire upgrade would be the way to go and Scotty would be the person to discuss that with.

Here is a link to when I did my motor with some pictures as well!
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-26-mph-3.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car