lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"
Default Resistor cart wiper contact question

I cleaned up the wiper board on my '84 Marathon, and it occurred to me that the 6 gauge wire between the contact and the solenoid is the weak link in my high power wiring.

I pulled out the spring and copper contact, and couldn't really see anyway to easily replace the 6 gauge wire.

Is the wire soldered into the contact, welded, or crimped in somehow? There's plenty of life left in the contact itself, I'm just concerned that the wire's not gonna last with all of the extra current coursing through the 4 gauge cables. The copper bolt contacts (0, 1, 2, 3, 4) on the board are also in pretty good shape. When I cleaned things up, I put a piece of fine grit sandpaper between the contact and the copper bolt heads, and moved the arm back and forth to get the faces flat to each other.

I really don't want to buy a beefed up wiper board just to replace the contact and cable. Does anyone make and sell *just* the contact and cable?

Thanks,

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Resistor cart wiper contact question

It should be fine like it is, because the cart burns off unwanted power through the coils
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Nobody makes a 4g Wiper lead I know of... The end is soldered on, I suppose you could change it to 4g but I'm not sure if there would be any real gains.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Nobody makes a 4g Wiper lead I know of... The end is soldered on, I suppose you could change it to 4g but I'm not sure if there would be any real gains.
Thanks, Scotty.

Looking at the schematic, when the accelerator is in position 4, that 6 gauge cable is carrying all of the armature current. Could be that a significant percentage of the entire system's current is distributed to the stator/field coil in the motor, so it (the wiper cable) isn't carrying everything.

This might be a good mental poser question for guru JohnnieB...

Let's see if he chimes in.

RLW
Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Nobody makes a 4g Wiper lead I know of...
Future product idea, Scottyb? You could be the guy to work that out!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I could ...? I'd prefer to see this person just go to solid state and do away with the toaster oven parts
Old 07-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If I didn't have to mortgage my firstborn to go solid state, I'd go for it! As it is, a conversion kit would cost just about what I've got in my cart at this point...

RLW
Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw View Post
.............Looking at the schematic, when the accelerator is in position 4, that 6 gauge cable is carrying all of the armature current. Could be that a significant percentage of the entire system's current is distributed to the stator/field coil in the motor, so it (the wiper cable) isn't carrying everything...............
FWIW: Guru is the Sanskrit word for Teacher.

By definition, the armature and stator are wired in series in a series wound motor. Therefore the entire current flows through both armature and stator as well as every high current cable, connection, contact, component and battery in a series cart, which a resistor cart is a subset of.

Here is a drawing with the singular current path highlighted in purple and showing that the entire current does, in fact, flow the the 6Ga cable (Circled in red) on the wiper contact.

Since the intrinsic resistance of 4Ga is 0.0002485 Ohms/Ft while 6Ga is 0.0003951 Ohms/Ft, and the wiper arm cable is less that a foot long, there is not much performance gain to be had by going to heavier cable.

On the other hand, replacing the other 20 to 30 feet, or so, of high current cables in the system with 4Ga, will show some improvement. Partially due to reducing the intrinsic resistance and partially due to the the old cables having high resistance from years of corrosion build-up upon and within the lugs and within the cable itself.

As for mortgaging your firstborn to upgrade to a solid state controller system, He/She was already $50,000 in debt upon birth, so what difference does another grand make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor cart - Schematic - High Current Traced.JPG (91.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

LOL!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks for the excellent explanation, teacher!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO