lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
luckyc1423
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV steering problem

2008 ezgo rxv. It is lifted. When driving at higher speeds the cart will turn hard left or right then quickly correct itself going straight again. It does this both left and right.

I seem to continually having to correct to stay straight. At lowers speeds it's not as noticeable.
luckyc1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
luckyc1423
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: RXV steering problem

Okay, my buddy came over to help me check the cart out. He drove it and agrees it felt unsafe and it almost feels like the cart is going to flip.
We aligned the cart to toe in and it seemed to make it slightly worse. It literally felt like the cart was going to flip.

We then aligned it to toe out and it made it slightly better. It felt more safe and stable but steel didn't cure the issue about the cart traveling left or right.

He started messing around and said the steering was to loose. Basically you can move the wheel back and forth alittle bit without the tires moving. Also you can move the tires back and forth without the wheel moving. So he said imperfections in the road or hitting bumps is cause the cart to dart to the left or right since the tires have the ability to move without you moving the wheel. In his opinion the rack and pinion needs to be replaced.

What is the opinon of everyone else? he isnt familiar with golf carts but is pretty handy. He didnt know if this is normal for golf carts or not.
luckyc1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I don't have any experience with RXVs, but the rack and pinion seem to wear out pretty frequently on other carts, based on posts I've seen. With mine, the worst wear was in the middle, where the steering spends much of its time going back and forth slightly to go straight.

Yours is a 2008, which puts it at four years old. Do you know if it was driven more than several times a week and/or long distances? Sounds like it could be worn or loose steering components.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

before condemning the rack has the play check you tie rod ends and make sure they are still tight in the spindles. I have seen them gt loose due to not tightening properly.

if that ok, than you need a rack. I have replaced a few for "sticking" while turning. I have yet to rebuild one, cause they were under waranty.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
JasonsGolfCarts
Getting Wild

Sounds like the steering box to me. Let us know if we can help.

http://www.jasonsgolfcarts.com/EZ_GO..._p/str-033.htm
JasonsGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Did you check the A arm bushings ? They wear quite a bit as well
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO