lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
suthern
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Is this run time normal?

I recently aquired a 2006 txt series 36v. The cart has a drop axle lift with 22 inch tires. The batteries are a little over 2 years old (Powertron P2000G.) After a charge and a 12 hour rest, the pack reads 38.2 volts. Everything else is stock on the cart. Now to my question, I got this cart to hunt off of. After about 1/2 mile of riding down hard red clay roads and through a pasture or two, I notice an electrical smell which seems to be coming from the F/R switch. The switch is also very hot. When i get back to the house, the cart struggled to make it up the drive. I checked the pack and it read 36volts. Is this all i can expect out of this cart, 1/2 to 1 mile run time? Will new heavy duty cables and F/R switch increase the run time?
suthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is this run time normal?

You should get at least 15 miles out of that cart on a full charge with everything working correctly. The 22" tires are taking a toll on all the stock components. I would start with replacing wires with 4 gauge and at least cleaning/inspecting the f&r switch. My guess is since you smell it burning the f&r switch is probably toast.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
briparts
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

where there is heat ,there is resistance and loss of power,locate hot spots and replace parts.you should use at least 4g wire.
briparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Marathon Man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've have dealt with a lot of problems with the p2000g batteries from what I've heard is that theses batteries sat for a year before being shipped and sold. I've seen a lot warranted back through the manufacture. Just what I've heard and had to replace a lot of.
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your batts are dead , look in the search section at top of web site , there is a HUGE amount of threads on what could be your problem , a 36 volt system is good for three rounds of golf and then some (min .. 10 -15 mile ) you need a new set of Trojan T105 batteries (6volt) or find out which batts are bad in your set with a load test , also do a search on lifted carts on the site , that can also shed some light on your situation I am a Newbee like you , and the info . On this site is the best bar none on the web ! And BGW members I find to be very
Helpful good luck merry Xmas
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
suthern
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies. Yes, their is tons of info here. That's how I learned about the SOC charts and battery levels after a charge. When I got 38.2 after the charge with 12 hrs rest, I figured they were good. I wasn't sure if the F/R switch being real hot or the old cables caused the issue. I'm also aware the large tires will require more juice, just wasn't sure to what extent. So your saying even though the batts read 38.2, they are still bad? I also tested each individually and they are within tolerated range from what I've read on here. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it, just don't wanna cough up all that money for a battery pack right now if that's not the issue.

Last edited by suthern; 12-24-2012 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Like I mentioned before, I would upgrade the cables and F&R switch before dropping the cash in new batteries. That would be a great investment if you plan on keeping the cart with it's larger tires.

Your voltages are good, don't know about a load test but since they hold 100% charge overnight odds are they might still be good.

I've had batteries only hold 75% charge overnight but still was able to drive 12 miles before 50% SOC.

sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
suthern
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, I will upgrade the cables and F/R switch for starters and go from there. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The P2000 is only a 210AH battery, so it is a bit on lightweight side for run-time, but the reduction should be about 5% in time and/or distance rather that what you are describing, so the batteries are sick.

The 22" tires give you about 18% more speed with a corresponding 18% reduction in torque; And being human, you most likely push the pedal harder to make up for the lost torque, reducing run-time, but again, this is just an incremental reduction rather then what you are describing. And the range shouldn't be reduced greatly either since the cart travels further each time the tires rotate.

The batteries being at 38.2V, 12 hours after charging says they are charging to 100% of their AH capacity, but it does not say what their AH capacity has degraded to after two years of use or misuse.
A load test is needed to measure what the AH capacities of the batteries are after two year of unknown use, unknown maintenance and unknown charging practices.
However, you have already done a load test, of sorts, and some or all of the batteries have failed miserably.
Or at least, dropping from 100% SoC to less than 50% SoC in a mile or less indicates something is seriously wrong with the battery pack.

Here is what to do to find out for sure.
Charge batteries fully and measure both pack and individual battery voltages.
As you know, the pack should be 38.2V after about 12 hours rest.
The individual battery volts should be 6.37V and all within 0.1V of each other.

Drive cart until its performance is reduced, let the batteries rest for 15 minutes and then measure both the pack and individual voltages.

The individual battery voltages should still be within about 0.1V of each other.
If not, the one or ones with the lowest voltage are in the worst condition.

You might get lucky and only find one or two bad ones, but there are deferentially some bad batteries in your cart.

-----------
Hot F/R switch and/or cables.

It is normal for the motor to get hot (upwards of 200°F) with tall tires and hard use and the controller is going to get very warm, but other than that, nothing else should climb more than a few degrees above the ambient air temperature.

If the F/R switch, cables, connections and other components are getting very warm or hot, they need to be fixed or replaced.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
cowboysclassics
Getting Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The P2000 is only a 210AH battery, so it is a bit on lightweight side for run-time, but the reduction should be about 5% in time and/or distance rather that what you are describing, so the batteries are sick.

The 22" tires give you about 18% more speed with a corresponding 18% reduction in torque; And being human, you most likely push the pedal harder to make up for the lost torque, reducing run-time, but again, this is just an incremental reduction rather then what you are describing. And the range shouldn't be reduced greatly either since the cart travels further each time the tires rotate.

The batteries being at 38.2V, 12 hours after charging says they are charging to 100% of their AH capacity, but it does not say what their AH capacity has degraded to after two years of use or misuse.
A load test is needed to measure what the AH capacities of the batteries are after two year of unknown use, unknown maintenance and unknown charging practices.
However, you have already done a load test, of sorts, and some or all of the batteries have failed miserably.
Or at least, dropping from 100% SoC to less than 50% SoC in a mile or less indicates something is seriously wrong with the battery pack.

Here is what to do to find out for sure.
Charge batteries fully and measure both pack and individual battery voltages.
As you know, the pack should be 38.2V after about 12 hours rest.
The individual battery volts should be 6.37V and all within 0.1V of each other.

Drive cart until its performance is reduced, let the batteries rest for 15 minutes and then measure both the pack and individual voltages.

The individual battery voltages should still be within about 0.1V of each other.
If not, the one or ones with the lowest voltage are in the worst condition.

You might get lucky and only find one or two bad ones, but there are deferentially some bad batteries in your cart.

-----------
Hot F/R switch and/or cables.

It is normal for the motor to get hot (upwards of 200°F) with tall tires and hard use and the controller is going to get very warm, but other than that, nothing else should climb more than a few degrees above the ambient air temperature.

If the F/R switch, cables, connections and other components are getting very warm or hot, they need to be fixed or replaced.
Thanks JohnnieB. Another great and well explained post going in my "big chief".
cowboysclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO