lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #1
okcnate
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Kawasaki 13HP Fuel in Oil

2009 EZGO with the 400cc Kawasaki.

Recently, I kept getting what seemed like flooding events. I'd pull the spark plug and dry, drain the bowl and it'd run more.

Now I'm at a point where it won't start. So, I rebuilt the carb. After putting it all back together it still won't fire. I noticed now, that there is gas in the oil.

What next? I'm stumped.
okcnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: EZGO Kawasaki 13HP Fuel in Oil

When you rebuilt the carb, what all did you replace? If you didn't replace the float, that would be the first place to start. If it's flooding, it's from the needle and seat not stopping the flow of fuel.

Another cause of flooding is a cracked/damaged carb. But it was only flooding while running, not while off.

Could also be jetted incorrectly.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
okcnate
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
When you rebuilt the carb, what all did you replace? If you didn't replace the float, that would be the first place to start. If it's flooding, it's from the needle and seat not stopping the flow of fuel.

Another cause of flooding is a cracked/damaged carb. But it was only flooding while running, not while off.

Could also be jetted incorrectly.
Thanks for the reply. So the carb rebuild included new jets, main & pilot. New gaskets. New needle valve. No new float, but the float...does float. Also some other misc. items non-related.

UPDATE: I changed the oil & filter which was probably 50% gas. I got the engine to fire after a prolonged push on the pedal, but it doesn't run well. Really bad throttle response, an occasional pop/backfire and has low power. Could it need valves adjusted? I thought I had adjusted them correctly, but maybe wasn't on top dead center.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:05 PM   #4
CatCam
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'd pull the valve cover and check valve clearance. what does the spark plug look like?
CatCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
okcnate
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCam View Post
I'd pull the valve cover and check valve clearance. what does the spark plug look like?
Spark plug is new but black. I had checked and adjusted the valve clearance along with the carb rebuild, but I'll probably re-check it.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnate View Post
Spark plug is new but black. I had checked and adjusted the valve clearance along with the carb rebuild, but I'll probably re-check it.
If the plug is black, you need to either clean it thoroughly or get a new one. It's likely fouled out. When they are fouled the spark arcs off the wrong part of the plug and it affects the ignition.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 PM   #7
okcnate
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update: So I ran out of ideas and finally just bought a new $50 carb, not the $400 oem carb. Starts and runs perfectly. So, the needle valve in the rebuild kit I bought off eBay just did not seat properly and was flooding to the point of gas in the air intake tube. Moral of the story?! Buy a better rebuild kit? Anyone have a better source for parts on this engine?
Old 03-03-2021, 10:41 PM   #8
Etu
Not Yet Wild

I thought the Kawasaki 400 had non adjustable valves?
Etu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO