lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
family cruizer
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Default Boiling Battery!

I am new to the LSV and glf cart world. I bought a used E2 and I am having some issues with boiling battery water. The cart has only 120 miles on it and it is 2 years old. Within 30 minutes of plugging in the charger, I heard one or some batteries boiling. I got brave enough to open one to check, but I do not know if more that one is boiling.

Is this a bad battery issue? A charger problem? Any advice before I load it up and take it to the dealer?
family cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Boiling Battery!

Ok you now own a sparkler. The next two things to do is to buy a volt ohm meter if you don't have one, and do a search and read the stickies about battery care.
You can find a meter for around $20 that will do all you need.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

All flooded lead acid batteries will "boil" during the charge cycle. This is due to the hydrogen gassing out of the water/electrolyte and is normal. Now, the DEGREE to which this happens can be an indicator of other issues. Just how bad is it? Are the battery cases getting soaked on top? Are the cases getting warm? Be advised, any liquid on top of the cases is sulphuric acid and needs to be handled with respect. No blue jeans allowed!
Yes, and get a digital multimeter, a sparky owner's best friend.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
family cruizer
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Thanks for the replies. I own a multi-meter, but I am ashamed to say that I don't know how to use it. Heck, I do'nt know why I bought it. I will google up info on how to use it, or better yet, read the instruction manual.

I guess the reason the "boiling" stands out is that I raise the seat and flip the swith to "tow" mode for charging, and then leave the seat flipped up. I have never been around another cart like this. Tip - it keeps the dogs off of the seat.

There is no liquid of any kind on top of the batteries and I did not check to see if they were warm to the touch.

After sleeping on it I took it to the shop today, just to be on the safe side. I will monitor the batteries from now on.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by family cruizer View Post
Thanks for the replies. I own a multi-meter, but I am ashamed to say that I don't know how to use it. Heck, I do'nt know why I bought it. I will google up info on how to use it, or better yet, read the instruction manual.

I guess the reason the "boiling" stands out is that I raise the seat and flip the swith to "tow" mode for charging, and then leave the seat flipped up. I have never been around another cart like this. Tip - it keeps the dogs off of the seat.

There is no liquid of any kind on top of the batteries and I did not check to see if they were warm to the touch.

After sleeping on it I took it to the shop today, just to be on the safe side. I will monitor the batteries from now on.
Just curious why you would want to sleep on the cart before taking it to the shop.
Now on to the answers.........
It's a good idea to learn how to use your meter, it should be a digital meter, if it's not get one. They are less than $5 at Harbor Freight.
There is no need to switch to tow mode to charge your batteries, only if you are servicing them or leaving the cart sitting for long periods like a few weeks and of course towing.
Here's some battery tips:
Always charge your batteries after 15 minutes or more pedal time.
Try not to discharge the batteries less than 50% and never more than 80%.
Fill the battery cells only after you charge and never over fill, 1/4" above the plates is a good level.
Keep the tops of the batteries clean and dry. The batteries can be cleaned with a solution of 10% baking soda and water.
Keep all battery cables clean and tight. Make sure the cables are not corroded or have weak and worn out eye connectors.
Spray the cables with anti corrosive spray after they are clean and tight.
Here is a cutaway of what your batteries look like and the fill level.

dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
sunking
Gone Wild

I agree some boiling is normal; but what do you mean by boiling?

You should only see something like a glass of champagne after it foams out after you pour it. A gentle stream of bubbles rising to the top. If there is any rolling surface agitation indicates a problem.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
GarageBuilt
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
I agree some boiling is normal; but what do you mean by boiling?

You should only see something like a glass of champagne after it foams out after you pour it. A gentle stream of bubbles rising to the top. If there is any rolling surface agitation indicates a problem.

Well Dang!!! Just call me stupid...But I will disagree about the water boiling over being normal.... Four years ago I put a set of new 8-volt Trojans batteries with a new Delta Q charger... This cart caught hell from Texas to Tennessee. Not one time in three years did I have to add water... Why??? Because the charger did is job... Boys if you are boiling your batteries...Your charger is not all it can be.... Are you are charging your batteries for a big race.... Boiling the batteries.... Well that’s just wrong!!!
GarageBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
family cruizer
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

The guys at the dealership seemed to think I have one, or more, bad batteries. If even one battery is bad the charger will not shut off when the rest of the batteries are charged.

As far as the boiling, it was a rolling boill like a batch of witches brew on halloween. I had a gut feeling that it was not normal.

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
family cruizer
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Just and update. The dealer has had my cart for several weeks now and can not find the issue. Tomberlin is apperently giving out dividers to go between the batteries on this year model (maybe more) because they designed it where the batteries have a positive from one battery next to the negative on the battery beside it. They corrected this in later models, mine is a 2008.

The dealer also has a call into Toberlin because he is afraid that the on board charger, which is apperently programable, was set incorrectly at the factory. I guess he thinks it is putting out too many volts, amps or whatever it shoots out to charge the batteries.

All I know is that I do not want it in my garage charging, until it is fixed.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

And one more thing to remember with lead batteries that Doug (the source of some great info), left off, is only use distilled water in the batteries if you ever have to add. Tap water will surely boil out.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin