lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
DKP
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G2a yamaha has no fire at coil.

I have checked the ohms on the pick up coil and it reads 568 ohms.There is power to ignition coil, I've checked all connectios and the fuse is good.What could be problem?
DKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G2a yamaha has no fire at coil.

If you figure this out please let me know as I am experiencing the same thing...Make sure your battery wires arent backwords and your starter is hooked up correctly...I have someone coming from Yamaha to help me with this exact problem...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKP View Post
I have checked the ohms on the pick up coil and it reads 568 ohms.There is power to ignition coil, I've checked all connectios and the fuse is good.What could be problem?
568 ohms is right in the middle (495 to 605 ohms) good. Did you test the ignition coil? If not I can get you some tests. You say there is power to it (orange 12 volts positive, 12 volts negative when turning it over?) If fuses were bad, it wouldn't even turn over. Might try to unscrew the spark plug cap, cut off an 1/8 inch or so till you get a good clean end and core wire, then screw the cap back in. Another thing, the stock negative battery cable had an 18 gauge wire pigtailed into the eyelet that connnects to starter generator end plate, cut off the wire (at the eyelet) and crimp on an eyelet and attatch it with the negative cable on the stud. The ignition system is basicly open/closed ground, so it you have a bad ground (into the wire harness, you can have no or little spark. Last, you can not check a TCI/ignitor, it is the last thing on the ignition trouble shooting string, If all checks good, most likely the TCI.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
FLAT_NASTY
Not Yet Wild

Smallblock is right, If the coil is not grounded internally from plug end to base and your pick up wires are good trhu switch them the ignitor is faulty. I just replaced one last week on a customers unit. However dont over look condition of connections or connectors!
FLAT_NASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

heres what happened to my G9 (same engine). the 3 wires to the coil pass around behind the coil. also behind the coil is a 10mm bolt to secure the air shroud to the engine. see where this is going??? the crown of the bolt head had very neatly worn into a wire and shut down the ignition coil. i found it when i removed it to test with a coil from another cart. a thick wrap of electrical tape and i was back in business, lucky no damage to the ignitor box.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha