lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
mj_355
Getting Wild

Smile g1 starter/generator rebuild

My g1 keeps not wanting to start. I checked battery voltage at 10.9 volts. Im thinking starter/generator needs gone through. Can you buy the parts an do it yourself? Is there any directions? I have severl tools to do it I think?? thank you for info an help!!!!!
mj_355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
nwarren9
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: g1 starter/generator rebuild

Are you sure it is the starter where the problem is located? could it be the relays? bad connections, bad battery and key switch?
But if it is your starter / gen the answer to your question is. Yes part are available It is not difficult to rebuild. Parts I would suggest are brushes , bearings, and some one that can turn the armature. But make sure it is the starter! Before you put money and time into a rebuild.

Is it possible to describe the symptoms your cart is having. clocking and so on.
Foaks on this sight are grate all love to help, just tells us more! It will problem save you time and money. just hang in there.
nwarren9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I agree with nwarren.... Some basic troubleshooting is probably in order. Your battery at 10. something is totally dead. I would start by fully charging the battery overnight, then check the open circuit voltage of the battery after resting (no charging - no use) it a couple hrs. Voltage should be above 12.5 volts. Also you can take the battery to an Auto parts store or Walmart to have it load tested after charging. Next, you need to make sure all connections in the high current starting/charging circuit are clean and tight (including connections at the battery terminals). After doing this, see if starting problems still exist. If things seem better but then get worse after a few days, you may have charging circuit problems (such as voltage regulator). Report back what you found after you try the cheap things. Rebuilding the starter/gen should be after you are sure that's it. The worst thing you can do is start replacing parts to solve a problem!! - Good luck - RAY

PS - You should download a wiring diagram from the stickies above so you are not in the dark for troubleshooting.
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
nwarren9
Gone Wild

Yamaha

This is a good one for most G1's

Wiring.jpg
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
mj_355
Getting Wild

I hav a load tester here at home. I am going to let battery charge all night on low charge an then clean terminals. After a few hours nothing hooked to battery then hook load checker up. I bought a 110v trickle charger but have not installed it yet. I guess while battery is cooling down ill instal the trickle charger. That way probly every other evening ill let it trickle over nite. I do some more testing on cart in morning and see if generator needs new parts. Thank you for info an imput
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey, that's my wiring diagram

MJ- Here is a link to a good test for the starter/ generator that kymike came up with, helped figure out mine

Generator Test
heavygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
nwarren9
Gone Wild

Yamaha

heavygs

You have made a grate diagram. I have to apologize for not giving you credit for it. When I copied it I did not think of placing your name on the file. Your work has help me an many others with wiring problems

Thank You

can you make a file with your credits noted please

Better yet can we get this diagram made a stick note!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by nwarren9; 01-09-2013 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 01-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

nwarren- No big deal, just giving you some grief, glad somebody else could get some use out of it, got tired of trying to read the original, getting old, eyes aren't as good as they once were
heavygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
mj_355
Getting Wild

I also bought 4 new ngk plugs just to have one shelf just in case. What does yamaha want the gap to be?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
BigEd358
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_355 View Post
I also bought 4 new ngk plugs just to have one shelf just in case. What does yamaha want the gap to be?
Per my G1 Owners Manual, the Spark Plug Gap should be between 0.024 ~ 0.028 in.
BigEd358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha