lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Differential trouble

I've had the cart out and it was running good but seemed slow for what is in it. Yesterday I decided to tear into it and see if I could find anything wrong. I discoverd that the flywheel had moved, probably during assembly, and was not advanced as it should be. Fixed that, no problem. I then looked at the clutch and noticed that the inner oil seal on the secondary had come out. Pulled the clutch and found that the inner bushing is shot, it's missing 2 plastic ramps and the 2 seals are gone. It appears as though there is a taper iin the middle of the input shaft. Will measure this today. I assume that this is not normal and that the shaft should be flat and straight across. Am I right in my thinking? Will let you know what I find.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Differential trouble

From the splines out to the taper the outer sheave mounts on the shaft should be straight.
Inboard of the splines the transmission would have a seal and a 6205 bearing.
I expect the bushing you are talking of is the one in the sliding sheave?
If two wear pads were missing I expect that would destroy the inner bushing pretty quickly.
CharlieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Checked the shaft yesterday with a machinist's rule and found that approx. 1/2" from the splines towards the threaded end the shaft has a taper/wear in it that is roughly 1" long and approx 1/16-1/8" deep. I'm assuming that the rearend was run for sometime with a bad bushing in the clutch in order for it to wear like that. Not sure that the shaft can be fixed or used as is. I've order new seals, ramps and bushing for the sliding sheave and helix. Hate to think what it will cost if I have to get a new input shaft.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Interestingly enough the shaft #J10-46321-00-00 is under $50, that really wouldn't hurt that bad.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I think he's running a G2 transaxle? then the input shaft part #is 99999-03023-00 suggested retail 199.95. Gray Horse, if it's that damaged, the new bushing won't last long, (even with regular greasing) and woulld still "growel". Maybe weld and machine?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
I think he's running a G2 transaxle? then the input shaft part #is 99999-03023-00 suggested retail 199.95.
That would hurt.
Metalspray or welding to repair yours. Depending on shops in your area or your abilities that might get close to the $200.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am running a G2 rear. One site I found that had the shaft wanted $207 for it. Not sure I want to spend that much. I'm thinking of pulling the shaft out and having my neighbor tig it up and machine it down. He's done a bunch of work for me before and gives me a heck of deal. Just wasn't sure that you can go that route. Would be interested in buying a used one if I can find one in good shape.

CharlieN, what's metalspray and where can you get it?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The metalspray is done with a flame torch that has a hopper on it that is loaded with powdered metal.
Heat the part and press a lever allowing material to flow into the flame, the molten material is then deposited onto the part within the shield of the flame.

There are many variants of this system allowing for simple hand work up through production systems.

Tig and grind should do that shaft well.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well the cart gods have smiled on me. Yesterday I took my mom back home, she lives in Ia, and on the way back I decided to stop in the next town over where a couple of fellas have a small golf cart/mower business. They handle mostly used carts and I figured they may have a good shaft laying around. I asked one of the guys about a shaft and he said lets go look. Turns out he had a G2 differential that he had pulled the axles out of for a guy and was willing to sell the shaft. After a little discussion I wound up buying the whole rear, driven clutch and all minus axles for $100. Couldn't pass it up. So now I'll open up this rearend, remove the governor and check the gears and install it in the cart. On down the line I'll pick up a new input shaft for the old one and replace it, having a spare for either this cart or my next build.

On a side note, the guy told me that he has an 89-90 EZGO that he'll let go for $200. I think I smell another project coming up.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
After a little discussion I wound up buying the whole rear, driven clutch and all minus axles for $100.
That is a win, beats welding and then still replacing the inner sheave.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha