lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
colu41
Getting Wild

Default Another 91 DS Engine Question Update W/ Pics

Not sure if this is motor or starter problem. But, I finally got my CC running. Took it around the block and halfway around it started slowing down and eventually died with pedal to the floor. I waited a minute. Choked it a bit and started right up, but was still very slow and,died again. So I pushed it home and parked it.

Now it seems like it only wants to turn over/start when it feels like. And when it doesn't like to start, the starter gets very hot. Otherwise when it starts it drives. Just not for long and again at turtle speed.

Is this a starter problem? Motor/fuel problem? Possibly both? It took me 3 weeks to get this thing running so I'm happy about that but of course I have more problems.

Thanks for any info

Last edited by colu41; 08-18-2014 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: updated
colu41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
overtheedge86
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Another 91 DS Engine Question

Plug could help identify a fuel problem. Mine was a picky starter at first, when I didn't want to start I'd tap the solenoid while holding the pedal and it would start spinning. But if your starter gets hot the solenoid is probably closing. Mine was also very picky with the intake, check filter and hoses for any leaks.
overtheedge86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
colu41
Getting Wild

So possibly a bad solenoid? Could that cause the random start AND the bogged down speed and stalling?
I'll check hoses and filter but from what I've seen they all looked fine.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
colu41
Getting Wild

Here are some pics of the wiring and starter. To start. The ground wire that goes from F1 to A2 on the starter itself is getting so hot it's melting the plastic,on the wire. Along,with the starter being hot whenever it's attempting to turn over. The other pics are of two other grounds. Which only one fits to the starter without having to double one up. I was using both both really with one or the other it does the same thing. Any clue about any of this? As I took these pics I managed to get it to start again but only for a few seconds. I really am lost at this point to what it could be. Considering I drove it 2 days ago, to having it barely start now. Don't know what else to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0818141947.jpg (156.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0818141948.jpg (209.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0818141948a.jpg (138.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
colu41
Getting Wild

I just don't understand how I can get spark, turn it over and run the motor countless times,but the first time taking it for a drive seemed to kill it. Now it barely turns over. The battery tested 13.3 volts at rest so it's not the battery. I don't get it.
And the starter getting hot worries me too.

Solenoid, voltage regulator, starter? If it's the rev limiter I guess I'll never,know because I'm not paying $250 to see if it maybe fixes it..... I'm lost. I don't know where to start now.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

A motor can run great with no load on it then you put a load it up and it stalls. Them flat head carbs I try to rebuild and just cant get the last two right. Cant find a rebuild kit so I just bought new carb off ebay and it fixed the last one right up. Runs great. Carbs do wear out. Im not saying you have a carb issue but for 80.00 buy one and try it. The starter getting hot could be a worn out starter that's pulling to much of a load. How do the brushes look. Just pop off the black covers and see how high the brushes are. Are the cables clean. Is the engine ground connected to the frame. Is the fuel pump screen clean. If they clog up with dirt they will stop working. Also have you checked compression on the motor.
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgo on fire View Post
Is the fuel pump screen clean.
Here's a pic of the fuel pump screen. Get some brake cleaner on it. They can clog over time.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
colu41
Getting Wild

Ok thanks guys. I have the starter out again so I'll check that out and that fuel screen. I can understand the screen causing the bogging and stalling but now that it's barely turning over, hope it's just the starter. That's what the guy I bought it from originally thought was the problem. This thing was filthy. Simply cleaning the exciter behind the flywheel gave it spark. Hopefully I can figure this out before "pushing" it off a cliff!

By the way,any info on what seems to be an,extra ground wire by the starter? One goes to the frame the other is on the flywheel case. Again there's,no where to put the other unless I double one up.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
colu41
Getting Wild

Got the starter tested and it tested fine. The fuel screen was pretty dirty so gave that break cleaner bath. Hopefully I have time tonight to slap the starter back on.

Could someone show me pics of their running 91 of the electrical box (solenoid,volt ref etc.) And also of the starter and,it's wiring?
I can nearly guarantee it's wired correctly but it never hurts to double check.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

does it have a ground going directly from the battery to the ground on the starter? And your not using a lawn mower battery are you. There to small and could damage a starter
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car