lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
colu41
Getting Wild

Default Re: Another 91 DS Engine Question

I'll check on the ground. But I don't,think so. And for the battery I'm not sure. What size should it be? Obviously 12 volts but. Any certain specs?
colu41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #12
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just make sure it's not one of those 30 dollar lawn mower battery's that only have 170 CCA. I get the smallest car battery I can find.
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #13
colu41
Getting Wild

For sure. I'm starting to think it's either a bad battery or,the wrong one. Never,even,looked at it after I purchased the cart. The" guy" said it was good. Probably the original 23 year old bat in there!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Like I said you need a volt meter. Check voltage sitting. Check voltage while cranking. If it drops below 11 while cranking it's bad. Really shouldnt drop that low. It's not the original. Battery won't last that long. I've been buying mine at battery plus because they carry duracell procell. I am buying those because they are American made. American made battery's do last longer and you support the economy. Not trying to get in a debate anyone. Optima red tops use to be one of the best battery's around. Still have one 10 years old cranking. But 5 years ago started making in Mexico. Not worth s*** now. Sorry for the rant just pisses me off
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
overtheedge86
Not Yet Wild

My cart had side post terminals on the wires, had an old Chevy blazer battery that fit perfect.

Hot wires/terminals usually means bad connection. I replaced all my wires with 4 gage welding cable, 6 should do but i bad 4 on hand.
The intermittent trying to start sounds like the solenoid, unless a connection is that loose. Next time it won't start try touching the top 2 post of the solenoid with a screw driver, if you still have nothing try wiggling the wires. If that gives a weak attempt to start or starts fine replace cables.

A bad cable MAY bog the motor down, if it's not charging due to a bad connection the regulator will kick the starter/generator to overdrive. When testing my regulator and grounding the lead to the generator you can here it whining as the voltage kicks up to 16v plus.
overtheedge86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #16
colu41
Getting Wild

I will do a load test tmrw on the battery. I'm hoping it's bad and this fixes at least some,of my problems. But well,see.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
colu41
Getting Wild

It doesn't have a cca number. How do I know,what it is or if it's the right battery? Either way it's getting tested tmrw so. Well see what it says.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0819142148.jpg (184.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #18
bennyt
Not Yet Wild

That looks like a power chair battery. A CARQUEST 3570-50 works in my 02 DS. Check your battery box measurements to see if it will fit yours. Good battery for a good price.
bennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #19
colu41
Getting Wild

Will check it out. Is it possible for a battery to be bad maybe because it's trying to push too much voltage? I tested mine again yesterday at rest and,it was at 15+! I really wanted to believe that a bad battery is causing all my problems.
Could that cause too much voltage going into the starter causing it to burn up like it is?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #20
colu41
Getting Wild

May have found the problem.....
bought a new battery. And its turning over BETTER, but still not everytime. One time tried and we saw the "clutch wheel" completely stop spinning, and couldn't turn it by hand barely at all. Even with pedal depress trying to turn over no spin.
I didn't want to have to go this far but, we ended up pulling the motor. Because since I got it and got it at least started it had this weird knocking sound in it that we thought at first was a minor rod knock or just a rattle in the mounts somewhere, but instead we found the piston with a 1/2" of play on the piston rod. Its shot. That has to be the cause of the motor slightly siezing up while turning over. Also the valves "lash" timing is completely off. So my buddy is taking it home, ordering the parts and completely rebuilding it for me for no cost. Within a week or 2, I should have a well running golf cart. But we shall see.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car