lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2022, 07:58 PM   #1
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default G16 with busted transaxle case

Anyone ever seen a G16 with a giant hole in the bottom of the transaxle case? I bought this cart several years ago for a big block project, sold the good engine for $400 which paid for the cart. I pulled it into the shop and it has a giant hole in the trans. It's on the bottom portion where you would like to see a skid plate, but there isn't one. It's a big flat spot on the trans that must have hit a stump or rock or something. Never seen this before...

I was thinking if the gears and bearings are good, that I could fab an "inspection plate" to bolt onto it with a gasket of some sort, maybe grey gasket maker? Thoughts?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2022, 06:04 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G16 with busted transaxle case

If you can do it, go for it Slo. Its trash anyway, you cant make it any worse, surely?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Had one come in the shop a while ago for a "leak" from the differential. Once I got into it I found the rollers of one or more bearings had gotten caught between the ring gear and the housing, broke the case and the owner at the time used JB Weld or something similar to try to close it up.- and resold it that way.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:34 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Had one come in the shop a while ago for a "leak" from the differential. Once I got into it I found the rollers of one or more bearings had gotten caught between the ring gear and the housing, broke the case and the owner at the time used JB Weld or something similar to try to close it up.- and resold it that way.
That’s just not right

We should start a thread about BS backyard ninja repairs we’ve seen on used carts from shady flippers. Oh some of the stuff is just beyond belief. “Just needs a carb clean”
Maybe tonight at work. I’ll have time there
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:40 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I bet Slo could tell a few shady stories. He is a right shady character in my eyes

Mind you, I cant talk with some of the thing I have had to do to get a machine working while waiting on new parts LOL.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:36 PM   #6
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

if you made a list of story's of sketchy repairs,salesmen and,mechanics it would go to the moon and back like 500 times sadly
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:26 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

I could write a book about crap work, mis-diagnosing, people spending hundred, if not thousands to NOT have their cart fixed. I see it every day.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:44 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'm not shady, but I'm sure ambitious and resourceful. And....I love to fix stuff!!!

I have stories, oh do I have stories. I'm no electrician, but I find mistakes electricians make all the time. I'm no pro auto technician, but I see crap they do all the time that should put them out of business. I'm no carpenter, but I've corrected so much crappy lazy-azz framing etc that it's pitiful.

Just to be clear, this G16 is not for "quick flip". This one's a keeper if I can get it to work. Actually I promised my 12 year old daughter I'd build a cart with her, you know, teach her about tools and stuff kinda bonding time. So this one will be hers. Definitely would never sell this kind of thing to someone without full disclosure anyway, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:02 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
I'm not shady, but I'm sure ambitious and resourceful. And....I love to fix stuff!!!

I have stories, oh do I have stories. I'm no electrician, but I find mistakes electricians make all the time. I'm no pro auto technician, but I see crap they do all the time that should put them out of business. I'm no carpenter, but I've corrected so much crappy lazy-azz framing etc that it's pitiful.

Just to be clear, this G16 is not for "quick flip". This one's a keeper if I can get it to work. Actually I promised my 12 year old daughter I'd build a cart with her, you know, teach her about tools and stuff kinda bonding time. So this one will be hers. Definitely would never sell this kind of thing to someone without full disclosure anyway, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

To be clear I was talking about the one meimk said with the jb weld. Not you

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t cut and clean it up, and then make a cover. Only thing I’d be worried about is the structural integrity of the case, which is kinda hard to tell without seeing where the hole is. There’s a lot of stress in various areas of the case and some of it needs some pretty beefy reinforcement. Other areas are just there to hold in the oil.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:15 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
To be clear I was talking about the one meimk said with the jb weld. Not you

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t cut and clean it up, and then make a cover. Only thing I’d be worried about is the structural integrity of the case, which is kinda hard to tell without seeing where the hole is. There’s a lot of stress in various areas of the case and some of it needs some pretty beefy reinforcement. Other areas are just there to hold in the oil.
Understood brother, wasn't worried about what you said, it's all good. I just didn't want anyone to think I was trying to piece this together quick to make money by taking advantage of someone. Definitely not doing that. I do, however, want to use this cart, since it was basically free. I have an engine to put into it, and some other parts.

I'll take a photo of the transaxle tomorrow and post it up. Maybe that will get the ideas rolling. It seems like it rolls good and goes in an out of gear well. The damage is on the flat area on the bottom. These G16's have a different transaxle than the G2/G9 that I'm very familiar with. It has a completely different shape.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha