lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
rjriley1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 48V Conversion A Success

I've got all the bugs out now. Alltrax 500amp controller, 4 gauge cables, 48v HD solenoid, 4600 RPM GE motor, HD F/R, and 2 extra Trojan T-105's in the bagwell. I haven't got top end GPS or police radar reading yet. But this thing really hauls the mail. And the best thing yet so far no smoke. I've been hesitant to post this until I've proven some reliablity.Imported Photos 00000.jpg

Imported Photos 00001.jpg

Imported Photos 00002.jpg

Imported Photos 00003.jpg
rjriley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 48V Conversion A Success

DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Some Questions:

1. What are you using for hold downs on those extra batts?
2. I assume you are routing the cables through a hole in the access cover? Or did you drill a hole through the body itself?
3. Did you beef up the rear springs? I noticed what looks like a seat frame in the photo so the springs may already have been beefed up previously.
4. Assuming that is a seat frame, are you going to have easy access to those batteries for checking water/cleaning?

Looks good though.....
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
rjriley1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

1. Large long heavy duty tie wraps 2 per battery. I need to post finished pics.

2. Drilled 2 holes through black cover that is behind front seat through bagwell area.

3. I have HD leafs but not installed yet. The underside is reinforced with draw tite style receiver hitch. I install retractable tow strap there to pull race cars at the drag strip.

4. The rear seat is removed in pictures but is reinstalled. Only 6 bolts to access batteries in bagwell.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

sweet!

Some suggestions if I may?

Rather than having holes through the access cover, if you did a half moon cut out at the bottom edge of the Access panel, it would still allow you access to the motor without having to disconnect your rear 2 batteries and they could be small enough that just the wire passes through them to prevent dirt/debris from getting in.

The HD leaf springs will help you in terms of steering. With the added 120 lbs of those batteries on the rear, your fron end could lift from the ground somewhat causing a squirrely feeling to the steering (especially if you are also carrying 2 people back there).

Are the bolts T-nutted into the rear seat bottom? If that is the same as some of the rear seats I have worked with (lag bolts into wood with no T-Nut in place), constantly pulling the bolts from the wood will weaken it over time. I would reccommend T-Nuts and thumb screws to allow fast, safe and easy access to those batteries.

Just my thoughts, as I said, I like the way you have secured the batteries back there, most people simply place batteries there and think the weight will keep them in place.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
rjriley1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I thought about the half moon holes but the black cover over laps the body so the slits would be longer that my small holes. My cables are tight in the holes and I thought of added rubber grommets later. The rear seat has nut zerts in the wood. I thought about adding all thread and nuts for easier removal. You got great ideas. I wish I had a cart someone did to look at before I started mine. I did the best I could by asking questions and reading this forum. I made my $10 donation about 2 weeks ago. I don't think I would of thought of attemping this on my own.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

HEy RJ, thanks for donating to help keep BGW on the net .... Glad to hear we helped ... enjoy the ride
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
cdb770
Gone Wild

Club Car

What was the total $$ damage in the end? I am looking to convert also, just want to know how much to not sticker shock the wife too much!
cdb770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There are several levels of 48v conversion with varying prices. one of the bigger components is the 48v charger... new can be $400 or used $100 depends upon where you find it? the Same is true of the controller. Price is relative to size and brand... Used controllers can save you a bunch IF you can find what you need? Adding 2 used or reconditioned batteries to an existing pack is the least expensive way to increase voltage....

You could spend $1500 or you can spend $500. It just really depends upon your resources, timing, and a little luck.

The best way to budget this is to start looking for the parts and collect them as funding permits & when you find a bargain... Good Luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
huntinghawk
Gone Wild

And there is the 48v plug on the cart for the new charger.

And thanks for donating RJ

Ross
huntinghawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO