lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #1
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Ezgo "Beast"?

Hi, new here, but not to carts. I have a Marithon for a long time now and have worked on it lots. That's not what this is about.

I have wanted a 48 volt cart for a long time. Was going to convert my Marithon when something came up on Craig's.

Long story short, I bought a wrecked "Beast 48". Then I promptly bought a box stock 36 volt EZGO with new batteries. My plan;

1. After some minor repairs, put the batteries from the 36 volt in my Marithon. (Their almost shot)

2. Strip everything good off the "Beast" and install on the stocker after painting.

I have a few questions and welcome any comments.

First, am I right to think that the "Beast" is a EZGO? It looks just like em. I assume that they buy a base from EZGO and modify. What model would it be? (TXT, PDS, etc.) I don't really know what the differences are.

The motor on it is way bigger than my Marithon. Is this motor the famous "Beast" motor or are the two unrelated?

Would the gears be the same in the diff as the stocker?

While there is lots of good parts, the Beast was badly wrecked. The controller on it is all bashed up. I suspect it is no good. I will test it when I get some batteries rigged up. (Two of them were destroyed) Would you guys have a recommended controller?

The other batteries seem to be OK. Is it worth it to buy just two batteries? (I've always heard not to mix new and old) I may just buy two for initial testing and then go all new. I was thinking of going with 8 six volt instead of 6 eight volts. Pros and cons of this?

As I said, any comments or recommendations are welcome.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo "Beast"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
Hi, new here, but not to carts. I have a Marithon for a long time now and have worked on it lots. That's not what this is about.

I have wanted a 48 volt cart for a long time. Was going to convert my Marithon when something came up on Craig's.

Long story short, I bought a wrecked "Beast 48". Then I promptly bought a box stock 36 volt EZGO with new batteries. My plan;

1. After some minor repairs, put the batteries from the 36 volt in my Marithon. (Their almost shot)

2. Strip everything good off the "Beast" and install on the stocker after painting.

I have a few questions and welcome any comments.

First, am I right to think that the "Beast" is a EZGO? It looks just like em. I assume that they buy a base from EZGO and modify. What model would it be? (TXT, PDS, etc.) I don't really know what the differences are.

The motor on it is way bigger than my Marithon. Is this motor the famous "Beast" motor or are the two unrelated?

Would the gears be the same in the diff as the stocker?

While there is lots of good parts, the Beast was badly wrecked. The controller on it is all bashed up. I suspect it is no good. I will test it when I get some batteries rigged up. (Two of them were destroyed) Would you guys have a recommended controller?

The other batteries seem to be OK. Is it worth it to buy just two batteries? (I've always heard not to mix new and old) I may just buy two for initial testing and then go all new. I was thinking of going with 8 six volt instead of 6 eight volts. Pros and cons of this?

As I said, any comments or recommendations are welcome.
http://beast48.com/

1. YES and NO.... they based their carts on EZGO carts. and use some of their parts and bodies.

2. They have a BEAST motor they sell. it fits EZGO TXT Golf Carts from 1995 to present. This is our 48 volt BEAST motor. It works with 36v (8HP) or 48v (12HP) carts. It is designed for torque & speed to meet any of your needs in the field.

3. as far as the Differential goes, you would have to call and ask them to be sure. if the rear end is good (after the wreck) just swap it out.

4. I am sure one of the GURU's here could recommend a good controller, all I can say is it most certainly will be a big one (500 or so amp, depending on how you plan on using it) but based on the picture of the motor on their website, its certainly a SEPEX drive.

5. as far as the batteries....once again, it depends on what you need/want. the 8 X 6 set-up will gain you in the RANGE department.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
Helirich
Gone Wild

Are you saying I can bolt that motor in to my 36 volt cart and it will work at a reduced proformance? (8 HP) Will it hurt it? I want it to be 48 volts, but it would be nice if I could get it running first while I sort out the rest.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Are you saying I can bolt that motor in to my 36 volt cart and it will work at a reduced proformance? (8 HP) Will it hurt it? I want it to be 48 volts, but it would be nice if I could get it running first while I sort out the rest.
according to their website......YES and it won't hurt it at all, as it states its made for it. it states its can be used as a bolt in replacement. BUT you need to make sure your 36v cart is in fact a SEPEX drive, as that is what the motor in the picture is. You may want to ask them directly that very question.

SOMETHING you could do, is take some pictures of the donor cart UNDER the seat so we can see what you have.

check it out here.

http://beast48.com/build-a-beast/#!/...egory=10604592

EDIT: I ran the P/N on the motor (EY7-4001, GOOGLE CAN BE YOUR FRIEND) and here are its specs

Features include: •SepEx Motor with Regen
•12-hp@1300 rpm @ 36 volts
• Double Brush set (8 brushes total)
•High torque motor
•Requires upgraded controller like the DCX500
•For maximum performance, safety, and durability, a minimum of 4 gauge cables throughout the cart & heavy duty solenoid are required.
•19 Tooth Female Spline
•10" housing length, 12" including the sensor.

Cross Reference Numbers:
•AMD XP2140
•Nivel Part # 3268
•Similar performance to the D1162
•GE D1162
•GE 5BC49JB1162
Old 09-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
Helirich
Gone Wild

The cart it's going in is a TXT according to the seller. I'm not home right now. (I work out of town) I'll check better when I get home. I know it has the switch on the dash. I have some pics, but for some reason I can't post pics from my I-pad. Even though I have them loaded on Supermotors. The stupid I-pad just kicks me off the site when I push the pic button. It does this on other forums too. PITA. My old I-pad didn't do this.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not all motors run on the same field map. Check to be certain you have the correct field map and control for this motor.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Not all motors run on the same field map. Check to be certain you have the correct field map and control for this motor.
Hmmmm, I guess I need to do some research. Your talking another language.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The cart it's going in is a TXT according to the seller. I'm not home right now. (I work out of town) I'll check better when I get home. I know it has the switch on the dash. I have some pics, but for some reason I can't post pics from my I-pad. Even though I have them loaded on Supermotors. The stupid I-pad just kicks me off the site when I push the pic button. It does this on other forums too. PITA. My old I-pad didn't do this.
well assuming you are talking about the Forward & Reverse switch, then that for sure means it has a SEPEX drive system.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Helirich
Gone Wild

Yes, it's the F/R switch. I was under the impression that "regen" was not on the TXT. Does this mean that mine is a PDS? What do those letters stand for?

While we're talking about it, would that switch be the same on both carts? I'm thinking to convert to 48, all I need is to swap motors, seliniods and controllers. That sound right?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes, it's the F/R switch. I was under the impression that "regen" was not on the TXT. Does this mean that mine is a PDS? What do those letters stand for?

While we're talking about it, would that switch be the same on both carts? I'm thinking to convert to 48, all I need is to swap motors, seliniods and controllers. That sound right?
TXT is the Model type.....with in TXT's, it will be either a SERIES drive or a SEPEX drive. within the SEPEX drive system, you have REGEN braking.

YES it means you have a PDS (Precision Drive System)

As far as the SWAP, if in fact you are going to swap EVERYTHING, that would also include the F&R switch....not the physical switch on the dash but the actual switching mechanism that it controls...the controller (which you made mention that it was banged up pretty bad), solenoid, and motor. AND your best bet would be to get an actual wiring diagram and actually re-wire the cart. SEE, we have no idea what controller you have, or the solenoid.....if you can supply that info, we may be able to tell you of you can just swap out the parts and use the current ezgo wiring. and depending on what you have now in the donor cart, some of the wiring may need to be up-graded anyway, such as the High Current cables.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO