lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #21
mauimark
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 EZGO 'clicks' when pedal depressed

Thanks - I'll take another closer look at the batteries today.

I don't expect it's them, unlike 1arunem, my cart wasn't sitting, I use it daily, it had been functioning with power to a level where I would not expect sudden death of batteries. It did move a few times, and once it got moving it seemed to run back and forth 20 feet 10x, but I had to run out and when I came back later it didn't move again. I had this same symptom when I completed repairing it after a year of sitting some months back, but after a day or two of running the symptom went away completely.

I started to think something was sticking in the motor, as it had been apart a couple times, so I pulled the motor out tried it without connection to diff, and also disconnected motor completely electrically and still had this same drop of voltage across the pack when pressing accelerator. Is it possible to have that kind of draw without the motor in the circuit?
mauimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimark View Post
Thanks - I'll take another closer look at the batteries today.

I don't expect it's them, unlike 1arunem, my cart wasn't sitting, I use it daily, it had been functioning with power to a level where I would not expect sudden death of batteries. It did move a few times, and once it got moving it seemed to run back and forth 20 feet 10x, but I had to run out and when I came back later it didn't move again. I had this same symptom when I completed repairing it after a year of sitting some months back, but after a day or two of running the symptom went away completely.

I started to think something was sticking in the motor, as it had been apart a couple times, so I pulled the motor out tried it without connection to diff, and also disconnected motor completely electrically and still had this same drop of voltage across the pack when pressing accelerator. Is it possible to have that kind of draw without the motor in the circuit?
You only have to have one of the 18 cells in a 36V battery pack go bad to get that type of reaction.

Typically, a bad cell only drops the voltage by about 2V, but how much the voltage drops actually depends on how the cell fails.

Check the individual battery voltages while pushing the pedal.
I suspect you'll find one or more of them that drop a lot more than the others.

If there was actually a current draw of 950A, and the motor was not turning, it would be smoking and you could fry eggs on the housing.

Without the motor connected, something would have to be shorted and you'd see smoke and fire.

-----------
Is anything getting hot?

If not, it is a battery issue.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #23
mauimark
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You got it. One battery **** the bed. Thanks!

By the way, this is a utility cart for maintaining multiple off the grid properties out in the jungle - (it's an old 1991 turf cart) - the thing is that I periodically take 12v off it for things like jump starting vehicles, starting generators, etc. - it's only like a couple/few times a month something has to be started. The cart also has 4x *small* 12v LED lights that are rarely used - All draw from the first two batteries in the series - the pack is end of life, but should have another 6-12 months in it - but one of the pair supplying 12v is the batteries that failed.

So after all that wind - do you think I need to regulate 12v off the full pack, and if so, whats the best way to regulate 12v off the full pack where it can pull starting current for a car?
mauimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I don't believe there is a voltage reducer available that will supply enough amps to start a car.

Drawing 12V from the first two batteries is hard on those two batteries. It might have been what killed one of them, but maybe not.

I use two of my cart batteries to jump-start cars, but I don't use the same two every time and I give the two I used a few minutes so on a 12V charger before connecting the regular charger.

If you only have LED lights and don't use them much, just give the two batteries they are connected to a boost with a 12V charger every month or so, or measure the individual battery voltages and give the low ones (in pairs) a boost charge with a 12V charger. If you have a 6V charge, do them individually.

You want to keep all the battery voltages within about 0.1V of each other.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #25
1arunem
Gone Wild

Just an update.. Thanks everyone for all your help. I replaced the controller with a good used one and we are back up and running!

Thanks!

Warren..
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO