lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
808gurl
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie needs help with 03 club car rear end noise

I searched for some help prior but i still need help. We got a 2003 club car 48v at work that is making a noise in the rear end.. i jacked it up and it doesnt sound like its coming from either tire area, it sounds like the transmission or gear area. I dont hear the noise constantly but more so when the pedal is pressed about a quarter way down. But it doesnt happen all the time either. I dont quite know how to describe the sound. We have a 2005 48v club car for parts and i removed the whole rear end motor assembly but what should i do?? I also changed the elrear end oil with 30w oil.. is that right?? So should i Replace the whole unit or take apart the one thats making noise and try to fix it??
808gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
Hunter1
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Newbie needs help with 03 club car rear end noise

I experienced the same thing a few years back and it ended up being a roller bearing in the rear end.
Hunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
crash test dummy

might need a centering kit
Old 04-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
808gurl
Not Yet Wild

How do i check any one of those?? Is it something that is pretty easily repairable?? What it the easiest way to get everything off to check/repair it?? Sorry so many questions but i am clueless on this... learning as i go
Old 04-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
cmar143
Gone Wild

Put the rear end on blocks and make sure the rear end wont fall. Have a friend push on the gas and see if you can pin point where the sound is coming from. That is what you want to do first otherwise you could be tearing into the transaxle when the problem is an outer axle bearing, motor bearing or whatever. The Kawasaki transaxle is pretty bulletproof and I have only seen issues when people run them low or out of oil. The oil not only lubricates the gears but also the bearings that the inner axle rotates on. The transmission itself is very simple to disassemble as its basically 3 clusters of gears but you will need a hydraulic press to remove the bearings if they or the gears are damaged. Honestly I would ride it out a little longer and see if the noise gets worse or better before going that far. On the positive side if everything is still working normally then nothing is broke yet.
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
808gurl
Not Yet Wild

I jacked the cart up and tried to attach a sound file so you all can hear that noise.. the motor we have as a replacement i dont think it will work because it has the speed magnet hook up and the one on the cart doesnt.. hopefully this helps so maybe you all can understand the sound since i didnt know how to describe it. Thank you for all the help so far..
Old 04-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
crash test dummy

use a you tube video so we can hear the sound
the one with the speed magnet will not work
Old 04-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Use the axle from the 2005 cart you have for parts. First make sure it's not the motor, you'll have to use the same motor you have now.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #9
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Newbie needs help with 03 club car rear end noise

Every time I have had an issue with noise in a Club Car it has been the rear bearing in the motor. The motor only has one bearing in it and it carries a lot of load. The best way to isolate the source of the noise is with a mechanics stethascope...jack the rear up and block the front tires...put the rear end on good solid jack stands and have somebody push the gas pedal while you listen to the different areas where the noise could originate....the end of the motor, the end of each axle tube close to the brakes, the rear end where the axle tubes meet the rear end and then around the rear end housing. What you listening for is any kind of a grinding sound that seems to be coming from any of those areas and then report back...in the absence of a stethascope...a piece of broom handle can work but not as well as a good mechanics stethascope.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car