lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2017, 05:30 AM   #1
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Brake Lights..Turn Signals Not Working

I have a new to me 2005 CC DS 48v IQ....Trying to troubleshoot no brake lights or turn signals...Headlights and tail lights work..It has the turn signal switch on the steering column that comes with the hose clamp attached to it ...I found a generic wiring diagram online and it looks like the brake lights go through the turn signals...Can someone explain how this works...Is it wired to the original 2 brake switches 1 under the pedal and 1 under the cart..Would a bad turn signal switch cause the brake lights not to work...Thanks for any help..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Brake Lights..Turn Signals Not Working

Crash Test Dummy may have a drawing when he reads this (seems to have so many) and can help. My lights are aftermarket so mine are hooked up differently.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes the brake lights go through the turn signal switch, so yes that is a possibility. I would check for power first though. Those light kits that include the turn & brake lights usually have 2 fuses on separate circuits. One for the head light/tail light and one for brake & turn. If you've got a test light or volt meter you can check for power at the switch under the floor. By the way, those switches are not "original" they were part of that light kit. The one under the floor is the one to turn on the brake lights, the one behind the pedal turns them back off when the parking brake gets set.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks..
So the power comes into the switch under the cart from the turn signals...I will check for power there and work back..Thanks again...Just don't understand why the voltage has to come from the turn signals..
Old 06-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Turn signals and brake lights use the same elements of the bulbs, similar to many cars. To do that the turn signal switch has to be able to "flash" the element the brake light uses. They have to run together.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Got it...Thanks for clearing it up....Fluke meter in hand and ready to test...
Old 06-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks meimk..Got it solved...blown fuse and the switch under the cart was bad (no continuity)...Thanks again...You nailed it...
Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
QuantumRift
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm gonna bump this one. I have a 2004 Club Car DS. My turn signals and brake lights work WHEN the headlights are turned OFF. Turn on the headlights and then brake lights and turn signals do not work. Is it fuse related as well?

Thx,

QuantumRift

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Thanks meimk..Got it solved...blown fuse and the switch under the cart was bad (no continuity)...Thanks again...You nailed it...
QuantumRift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
QuantumRift
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ah never mind. I fixed it.

I raised the seat and looked under the driver's side. I found what looked like a multiprong ground point, and just noticed that there was a disconnected black wire. I prob acccidentally or inadvertently pulled it off when I swapped out the old batteries for new batteries. I reconnected it and the brake/tail lights work fine now. DUH.

Quant

[QUOTE=QuantumRift;1478210]I'm gonna bump this one. I have a 2004 Club Car DS. My turn signals and brake lights work WHEN the headlights are turned OFF. Turn on the headlights and then brake lights and turn signals do not work. Is it fuse related as well?
QuantumRift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:12 AM   #10
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well done there's nothing like a little bit of good old detective work!!
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car