lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller Help

Assuming good batteries and motor, yes.
The basic rule is amperage = torque and voltage = speed.
If you add a bigger controller you allow the motor to access more amperage more amperage allows the motor to make more torque.
More voltage induces the motor to make more rpms (speed) and more torque.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #12
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420ma View Post
Thanks. I'm in a grey area were I need new batteries but I wanted to go 48v. but dont have funds for all the upgrades. I may just buy used batteries from a reliable source to keep me running till I get the cash. the set up you have for the 94 medalist looks like what i want to do for my 93 marathon...how is it on the hills. my cart bogs down alot on hills, i suspect new batteries will help but not get me where I want to be. Plus I'm not a small person. I currently have 20" tires.
I don't know what kind of hills you are dealing with but here in S.E. Michigan it's pretty flat, that being said my cart has no problem climbing any hill I've encountered on or off road.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #13
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Campground hills. Nothing crazy.
420ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #14
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

So I've been looking at controllers, a lot of people recommend the Alltrax units. I saw one that was a GE Series 500A controller 583. Any opinions on this unit. It isn't programmable but it seems to match my cart specs. I'm trying to find a middle ground between cost and quality because I am going to do the batteries, controller, charger etc all at once. I found a good 8v battery price now I'm just trying to figure the rest out.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I saw one that was a GE Series 500A controller 583

If that 583 is the price of the GE controller, you can get an Alltrax package from http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-sr-series--.html for less with the new solenoid, resistor and diode that you will need. In my opinion the Alltrax controllers are the way to go, if you don't want to mess with the programming you don't have to, Scotty will set it up for your cart when you order. Support after the sale is priceless.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:35 AM   #16
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

No the 583 is the model number.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #17
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Gotcha! I understand doing things on a budget being I'm retired and on a fixed income!
Old 03-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That controller is a Star (old GE) control. We used to sell these. Do not confuse adjustable with programmable. It does have a pot adjustments for throttle rate, max-min output, and plug braking. And a 1 yr warranty that is almost categorically denied in our experience.
The SR48500 Alltrax is a little more but you get much more like a 2 year warranty that is almost NEVER denied. And here are 10 reasons why the extra $100 is worth every penny > 10 reasons why Alltrax should be your next controller
Old 04-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #19
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
It depends on how slow the cart slows down to going uphill.

If it slows to walking speed (~3.5MPH) or less, you might get some noticeable improvement.

However, if it is slowing to walking speed on hills, the problem is more likely to be bad batteries or bad high current cables or motor needing service (worn brushes, and carbon dust buildup), or a combination thereof.

Of course, you will need a different controller when you upgrade to 48V.
So after reviewing the posts for this issue you mentioned motor issues. I'm pretty sure this cart was very poorly maintained. I need to get all the parts cleaned and tightened up.

I read that upgrading to 48v can increase speed and torque by 33%...

Is that true regardless of the controller current?
Old 04-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No. The function of the speed controller is to limit amperage flow. In the case where a controller is small in capacity it is not possible for it to pass more amperage that it is designed for.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO