lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
420ma
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Charger Test

How can I check to see if my charger is doing it's job? I ask because it shuts off after an hour. The pack hasn't been on a charger for three weeks, hasn't been run either. I know I need new batteries but I's like to verify the charger is doing what it should be.
420ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger Test

What charger do you have and voltage is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Problem is your pack voltage is likely too low to even run the charger. But If it shuts off after an hour your batteries are conflicting with the charger and its not properly charging because of a bad battery or more. If you want to know if your charging output is normal then measure pack voltage when you plug in charger, should read around 40v or 51 depending on if its a 36v cart or 48v cart
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is this for a '93 Marathon 36v?

Put a volt meter (digital) on the battery mains and note (post) the voltage.
Plug in the charger and if it has a timer on it rotate it all the way clockwise to the start position. Every few minutes check the pack voltage and check that it increases. This indicates the charger is charging. Normally it would shut off again when voltage reaches 44-46v. If it shuts off before that voltage then there is possibly a problem with the charger but if the voltage hangs up at somewhere below 44v and the charger keeps running until the timer expires there is likely a problem with the batteries.

If the batteries are in reasonable condition and have sat for 3 weeks after being fully charged, a reasonable expectation is that the charger could top them off again in an hour. May be noting wrong at all.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420ma View Post
How can I check to see if my charger is doing it's job? I ask because it shuts off after an hour. The pack hasn't been on a charger for three weeks, hasn't been run either. I know I need new batteries but I's like to verify the charger is doing what it should be.
Well if you already know you need new batteries, then that’s probably your issue to begin with. You didn’t mention yet whether you have an auto shutoff charger or old charger with timer
Old 11-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the charger killed the batteries he doesn't want to buy new batts and leave their well being to a charger of questionable service...... seems to me that if the batteries were old and had very high resistance to amperage flow in or out the charger would be running all night not for 1 hour, hmm? .
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
Well if you already know you need new batteries, then that’s probably your issue to begin with. You didn’t mention yet whether you have an auto shutoff charger or old charger with timer
EZGO chargers of this era had a timer but they were still automatic cut off at a preset voltage.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
EZGO chargers of this era had a timer but they were still automatic cut off at a preset voltage.
Sorry I should have said smart charger instead of auto shutoff lol
Old 11-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post

And your absolutely right if the batteries were good enough after 3 weeks of sitting it may only take an hour to charge. Given he fully charged it before leaving it for 3 weeks, and not just a few hours
Old 11-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #10
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If the charger killed the batteries he doesn't want to buy new batts and leave their well being to a charger of questionable service...... seems to me that if the batteries were old and had very high resistance to amperage flow in or out the charger would be running all night not for 1 hour, hmm? .

I agree he would still want to be sure the charger is ok, I was just repeating what he already mentioned, that he knows he needs new batteries anyway. Not implying in any way that he should ignore a possible charger issue
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO