lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Monroe Rear Shocks & Brake Flip- CAUTION

A while back I lifted my DS and did the TahoeDawg rear brake flip. Purchased a set of Monroe's 31176 to replace the 18 year old original factory shocks on the rear. Well the new shocks won't compress enough to mount with the bottom mounting plate on top of the leaf spring to align and anchor the brake cable. Real bummer because I can't return the new shocks as I spray painted them to go with my hunting cart theme.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Monroe Rear Shocks & Brake Flip- CAUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
A while back I lifted my DS and did the TahoeDawg rear brake flip. Purchased a set of Monroe's 31176 to replace the 18 year old original factory shocks on the rear. Well the new shocks won't compress enough to mount with the bottom mounting plate on top of the leaf spring to align and anchor the brake cable. Real bummer because I can't return the new shocks as I spray painted them to go with my hunting cart theme.
The shocks won’t compress or won’t expand enough to mount to the plate. Also, I mount my plate on top of the leaf spring by drilling the center hole a bit wider to accommodate the center nut on the leaf spring.

If the shock won’t compress enough, you’ve either bought the wrong size shock, or you need to compress them enough and use hold straps to then remount them.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Monroe 31176 shocks will not compress enough. I slip the round bushing cup washer and 1 bushing over the top stud of the shock. Stick the top stud up through the upper mounting hole. Compress the shock till it's fully compressed and the bottom shock stud will not clear above the bottom flange to insert into the hole which is the leaf retainer spring plate which is on top of the leaf.

Having the brake lines higher for ground clearance is more important to me then having an aftermarket shock. I know the CC factory shocks will work so I can go that route again.

BTW: The extended length of the Monroe shock is 1-3/8 inch longer than the factory shock.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since you have the shocks now, why not drop the mounting bolt inside the spring?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok, I did a search on the Monroe shocks and found a post by SWAN and a picture of his new shocks and the solution is with the longer length of the Monroe's you have to create sag in the rear end for the shocks to clear the anchor flanges. I removed the factory shocks with the cart at rest on the ground but will need to jack up the rear of the cart to install the new ones.
All is well! Thanks!
Old 05-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Uhh, no. What do you think is going to happen when you set the cart back down with the new shocks installed on your present mounts?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Per my measurements the Monroe's have a total travel of approximately 3.5 inches from fully extended to fully compressed. With the cart at rest, the Monroe's will be able to compress only about an inch before they would bottom. I have IM'd Swan to see if he would chime in on this since it appears he has done this.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Yes I used the 31176 shocks on my DS with my 6" redhawk lift but never did the brake plate flip. the thread showing my install of them is here when I put in my PQ motor > http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...000-cc-ds.html

also the way I came up with the part number was off the monroe pdf >http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1527599799

new link , first one was dead

this is a older list i have and a quick search though it looking for s3/s3 or s4/s4 (which is the 3/8 threaded ends) the 31176 and 5829 are two smallest (closed) shocks at 7.125 " . You could look for a 1/2" threaded end or MM and see if there is a shorter shock listed .

If you look in you look at the pic in post 7 of my motor thread my shocks are on the new plates from the lift but just below the axle is the original shock mounts . Do you still have that after your lift, if so you can go with a longer shock . you would need to take a measurement between the two mounts locations and search the shock list for a shock where that measurement falls in the middle.

hope this helps , Swan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Swans Momroe Mounting Length Sheet.pdf (451.3 KB, 0 views)
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Swan,
Unfortunately I do not have the shock tab from the original spring/cable brake plate. It was cut off and the remaining square plate was used below the axle as the lower leaf retaining plate. The lift came with a new cable/shock tab plate that was placed on top of the leaf springs very similar to the pic in post #7 of your motor replacement thread. As I see it, I have the same condition as you, unless your upper shock tab is welded higher on your frame to give you more clearance. With my cart at rest, sitting on the ground with no load I have 9-7/8 inch clear between the upper and lower shock tab mounts.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

ok you got 9-7/8 clearance between mounts . adding in the 2- 5/8 rubber mounts to the 7.125 bottom travel give you a closed measurement of 8-3/8 . that gives you a 1-1/4 travel .

31176 S4 S4 7.125 10.625 3.500 No (2) P1135

went back and read again and its the stud length on the bottom is to long to get over the plate and into the hole. I most likely did the shock as to when I re mounted the rear end and bolted everything up together. In my motor thread post 4 pic 1 shows the shocks hanging without the rear end in .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car