lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2020, 11:10 PM   #21
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 05 Precedent Just Stopped Moving

With that being the original 15yr old motor, I would probably just replace it. But a word of caution, an average speed motor can get by with a stock controller, but a "high torque" motor will not. They require higher amperage to push the torque required by the motor.

So if you do go for torque, definitely look at Revolutions motor/controller packages https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/u...ages-precedent
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #22
mlanierjr
Getting Wild

I got parts in today and am ready to put the motor back together, but have a question about brush position. The top left stud, the red one, at about 11 o'clock. I think the brushes connected to it are at 9 o'clock and the top right stud at 1 o'clock, the green one, are at 12 and 6. Am I reading the parts diagram correctly?

Thanks,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EJ44001.jpg (70.9 KB, 0 views)
mlanierjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #23
mlanierjr
Getting Wild

One more question how smooth should the commutator be? Should there be groves in it?
Old 02-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #24
mlanierjr
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
With that being the original 15yr old motor, I would probably just replace it. But a word of caution, an average speed motor can get by with a stock controller, but a "high torque" motor will not. They require higher amperage to push the torque required by the motor.

So if you do go for torque, definitely look at Revolutions motor/controller packages https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/u...ages-precedent
Trying to repair it cheap but reliable. Bought brushes and a bearing from David and found a brush holder on ebay. Now to put it back together so it will last. I don't know if I need to get the commutator turned or not. Waiting on replies from y'all.

I gave up on the high torque motor for this one because I lucked into a 96 DS v-glide this week for $200.00. Delivered! It will be the subject of another thread here. I plan to build it out as time and money allow.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #25
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Can you post a picture of the comm? Usually it’s best to have it turned, but sometimes you can get away with running some emery cloth over it to just knock down any rough edges. If it’s too uneven it can destroy the brushes pretty quick.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #26
mlanierjr
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
If it’s too uneven it can destroy the brushes pretty quick.
That's what I'm afraid of. Here is a pic. You can feel the ridges/depressions with you fingernails. The ridges/depressions are on the old brushes also. There are no rough edges but many "valleys".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4376.jpg (127.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-29-2020, 08:42 PM   #27
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Run some emery cloth over it and see if most of that will polish out. That doesn’t look too terrible from here.
Basically cut a strip about 10-12” long and use the C of your thumb palm and index finger to apply light pressure around the cook. Use the other hand to spin the armature and only spin it the same direction for 5-6 rotations and most of that should come out. If the cloth gets packed with dust and copper get a new piece and turn it again 5-6 rotations the same way.

After doing that rinse the comm area with water and dry with a cotton towel, and make sure there is no debris in the spaces between the bars.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #28
mlanierjr
Getting Wild

Quote:
Run some emery cloth over it and see if most of that will polish out. That doesn’t look too terrible from here.
Basically cut a strip about 10-12” long and use the C of your thumb palm and index finger to apply light pressure around the cook. Use the other hand to spin the armature and only spin it the same direction for 5-6 rotations and most of that should come out. If the cloth gets packed with dust and copper get a new piece and turn it again 5-6 rotations the same way.

After doing that rinse the comm area with water and dry with a cotton towel, and make sure there is no debris in the spaces between the bars.
The ridges will stop you fingernail. they are fairly deep.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #29
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Right, but remember it’s copper, and those taller ridges should wear down pretty quick. The worry most of the time is that there are several narrow higher areas across the comm that make minimal contact with the brushes. Small contact area and high amperage across the brush connection will result in the brushes burning and arcing which will overheat and damage the surface of the brush, and will overheat and oxidize the surface of the comm.

When the brush material arcs it can melt and weld itself to the comm, or turn into chunks of harder material with cracks between them that snag on the comm bars and break off rather than wearing down smoothly over time.

If the surface is mostly flat, or has a few smaller grooves that are lower than the rest of the comm surface, the brushes will often break in fairly quickly and settle into those lower areas.

When I used to build brushed RC motors I would break in new brushes with the motor under water so the heat buildup was kept to a minimum and any brush material would be carried away from the comm. I wasn’t building motors to race with, but I wanted to get the best power and best life from the brushes and commutator without overheating it. The comm can only be cut so many times before it’s too thin to use anymore, so the least material that can be removed would extend the life of the armature.

You can’t run these motors easily on a test stand, otherwise I would say hook it up and run it under water for a few minutes and it’ll be golden. As long as that surface is about 90% even after running the emery cloth over it, it should be fine. Low spots are OK, high spots are not. Usually high spots are minimal and will knock down pretty quickly. If they don’t, then it just kinda depends how much material is coming off the rest of the comm as to whether you keep going with the emery cloth or take it to get it turned.

Try it, then post a pic of how it looks after and I can probably tell you if it’s worth it to take it to someone.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #30
mlanierjr
Getting Wild

Quote:
Right, but remember it’s copper, and those taller ridges should wear down pretty quick. The worry most of the time is that there are several narrow higher areas across the comm that make minimal contact with the brushes. Small contact area and high amperage across the brush connection will result in the brushes burning and arcing which will overheat and damage the surface of the brush, and will overheat and oxidize the surface of the comm.

When the brush material arcs it can melt and weld itself to the comm, or turn into chunks of harder material with cracks between them that snag on the comm bars and break off rather than wearing down smoothly over time.

If the surface is mostly flat, or has a few smaller grooves that are lower than the rest of the comm surface, the brushes will often break in fairly quickly and settle into those lower areas.

There are no high spots but ther are many valleys.
When I used to build brushed RC motors I would break in new brushes with the motor under water so the heat buildup was kept to a minimum and any brush material would be carried away from the comm. I wasn’t building motors to race with, but I wanted to get the best power and best life from the brushes and commutator without overheating it. The comm can only be cut so many times before it’s too thin to use anymore, so the least material that can be removed would extend the life of the armature.

You can’t run these motors easily on a test stand, otherwise I would say hook it up and run it under water for a few minutes and it’ll be golden. As long as that surface is about 90% even after running the emery cloth over it, it should be fine. Low spots are OK, high spots are not. Usually high spots are minimal and will knock down pretty quickly. If they don’t, then it just kinda depends how much material is coming off the rest of the comm as to whether you keep going with the emery cloth or take it to get it turned.

Try it, then post a pic of how it looks after and I can probably tell you if it’s worth it to take it to someone.
There are no high spots but many "valleys". It did break a brush before it quit working.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car