lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
Marlinvx
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 02 Club Car DS, solenoid won't close

Good afternoon guys. Been stalking the forum for a while, and finally got a cart.
Problem: After putting it all back together, the cart would not move. After hooking computer up to controller, it was the charge cutout since I removed the OBC. Found the answer to that in this forum, thank you!
After that, the cart only stutters when trying to accelerate in forward or reverse. (with cart on jack stands) Throttle position numbers track with pedal position. All the inputs on the monitoring screen look good except battery low volts intermittent with accelerator engagement.
When stuttering, it was showing low battery volt momentarily, but battery voltage was rock solid at 52.7v at the batteries (by BMS computer and multimeter)
Determined the problem was at the solenoid. I am getting just enough juice through the resistor I think that the computer sees it as good but of course drops enough volts that low battery cutout picks up and shuts the cart down.
I have the little diode on the spade terminals, the big diode and resistor on the main terminals.
Grrr.
I have read through multiple threads over the last few days, and I am stumped.
The solenoid isn't closing. I never hear it click.
Light blue to pack neg 52.5 volts
Blue with white to pack neg 0 volts, regardless of pedal position or FR switch position.
If I read correctly, the blue with white comes from the controller and should receive the negative signal the solenoid needs to pick up. I don't think I am getting that.
FWIW-if I bypass the solenoid, the cart runs fine, no errors, no issues, all is good.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Details:
02 Club Car DS IQ. Has F/R rocker switch and run/tow switch.
My boys and I tore it down to the frame for a restore.
Upgrades:
Alltrax XCT48500
D&D 170-502 Speed/Torque Motor
Removed OBC
400A Solenoid
All new 2 gage wiring
Lester Summit II Charger
RELiON Insight batteries
6" Lift with 22" AT Tires
Marlinvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 02 Club Car DS, solenoid won't close

Where did you buy the solenoid ?
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
Marlinvx
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It came with the kit from golfcartkings.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Only reason I asked is... i had a brand new one sourced from Amazon and it had a dead short in it.
Didnt realize until after I smoked 2 Curtis controllers.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
Marlinvx
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am a bit embarrassed, but I got it figured out. I thought about the solenoid being shorted out so I decided to check. Disconnected everything. Checked continuity between spade terminals I had blue with white and light blue connected to, dead short. Well ****, you were right. Decided to check the other pair, also dead short. Huh, let's check between the pair on the same side. Got some resistance, about the same as a coil. I assumed the positive and negative spades were in the same orientation as the main terminals, left to right. Watched a video, i was way wrong. They are oriented vertically! Got em switched around, runs like a champ. It throws gravel, will chirp tires on pavement. Yippee! Alltrax bluetooth module will be here in a few days.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:19 PM   #6
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinvx View Post
I am a bit embarrassed, but I got it figured out. I thought about the solenoid being shorted out so I decided to check. Disconnected everything. Checked continuity between spade terminals I had blue with white and light blue connected to, dead short. Well ****, you were right. Decided to check the other pair, also dead short. Huh, let's check between the pair on the same side. Got some resistance, about the same as a coil. I assumed the positive and negative spades were in the same orientation as the main terminals, left to right. Watched a video, i was way wrong. They are oriented vertically! Got em switched around, runs like a champ. It throws gravel, will chirp tires on pavement. Yippee! Alltrax bluetooth module will be here in a few days.

This is why the Alltrax has polarity protection built in to it.

Congrats on the free fix. These Alltrax units are the cats whiskers.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #7
Marlinvx
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art View Post
This is why the Alltrax has polarity protection built in to it.

Congrats on the free fix. These Alltrax units are the cats whiskers.
Thanks for the input, your comment got me chasing that solenoid.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #8
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinvx View Post
Thanks for the input, your comment got me chasing that solenoid.
In all honesty, the solenoid activation circuit polarity doesnt matter. You could have just flipped the diode around.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car