lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #1
StarBreaker
Not Yet Wild

Default HELP battery and what to do.

Asked for some guidance a few weeks back and got around to checking around today and need some battery advice.

2014 Club Car President with original 8 volt battery's used by my 90 year old mother Two acre property. Gets used very little maybe once a week.
One battery is testing at 6.4 volts. all others test above 8 volts.

My wish was to find a cheap reconditioned battery at my used battery dealer for $30. Use this summer (Maybe two) then replace all 6 with new. But they only had 6 volt in stock.

Here are my options and like an opinion what way to proceed.

1) Used $65. from the only dealer that will sell used. No idea of age and health. Also wants $145 for a new one.

2) New for $95. The small town dealer who I purchased the cart from.

3) Replace all 6 packs now. Even though only one test bad.

4) You Tube Epsom salt trick. Just thought I would toss this in.

Thanks in advance.
StarBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: HELP battery and what to do.

I would either do used, or all new. All new would be the best way to go. You got the average life out of them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBreaker View Post
Asked for some guidance a few weeks back and got around to checking around today and need some battery advice.

2014 Club Car President with original 8 volt battery's used by my 90 year old mother Two acre property. Gets used very little maybe once a week.
One battery is testing at 6.4 volts. all others test above 8 volts.

Thanks in advance.
go get the best batteries money can buy.....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You can put one used one in and see what happens. I think that is probably just going to prolong the agony but you could try.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
StarBreaker
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the opinions.

Guess my real question boils down to what would happen if I just put in one new battery,
My way of thinking if an used battery is $65 why not just get the new one at $95 but understand that may not work as expected.
Dropping the coin on a new 6 pack is just hard right now with the Job/virus situation
StarBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

StarBreaker I sympathize with your caronavirus situation. Hundreds of millions of us are in the same boat.

When you put a new battery in with an old worn out pack, the charger will overcharge the new battery, and undercharge the others. Therefore, it is "best" to add a battery of similar vintage to the pack. Adding a new, or decent used one may get you by for a while.

Either way you are simply prolonging the inevitable. You need new batteries. Also, if you add a new battery, when you do get new batteries you will have to get 6 not 5 because the "new" battery at that point will be damaged.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
StarBreaker I sympathize with your caronavirus situation. Hundreds of millions of us are in the same boat.

When you put a new battery in with an old worn out pack, the charger will overcharge the new battery, and undercharge the others. Therefore, it is "best" to add a battery of similar vintage to the pack. Adding a new, or decent used one may get you by for a while.

Either way you are simply prolonging the inevitable. You need new batteries. Also, if you add a new battery, when you do get new batteries you will have to get 6 not 5 because the "new" battery at that point will be damaged.
Exactly! The life of the new battery will not be as long when mixed with 5 old ones.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car