lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Dinger
Not Yet Wild

Default 98 Club Car Electric Selonoid Question

This situation seemed strange to me. Working on a 1998 CC electric. Selonoid was burned at the large contacts. Melted the plastic body around the contact. But the strange thing to me was how the selonoid was wired. I had checked the sticky on the home page here that showed 2 types of wiring for '85 thru '03 carts. The wiring for carts with solid state controller had a resistor and a diode wired to the selonoid. The wiring for carts without a solid state controller had no resistor or diode at all. Now comes the question. This cart does not have the solid state controller but does have the resistor and diode on the selonoid. I replaced the bad selonoid and left the resistor and diode in place. Overnight the cart lost most of it's charge on a new set of batteries and after being recharged the selonoid locked up in the closed position all the time. Appeared to be overheated but not melted. The cart would move forward when placed in F or backward when placed in R even if the pedal was not pushed down. Checked the "sway arm" (the speed controller arm) and the micro switch down there with it and that was all fine. Tapped on the top of the selonoid, with the batteries disconnected, and it released and started to work properly again. Reconnected the selonoid without the resistor and diode (according to wiring diagram) and the cart started to work properly. Plugged in the charger for a few minutes and it worked properly although I didn't let it go all the way to auto shut off. Unplugged it and the cart still worked fine. But the owner says the cart had run fine for 4 years before with those resistor and doide in place. Is there a third wiring diagram that shows a non solid state controller cart that has resistor and diode on the selonoid? Seems very odd to me. Thanks for opinions.
Dinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 98 Club Car Electric Selonoid Question

they should have nothing to do with the soleniod sticking and no i don,t beleive its wired any different if you have a resistor/diode on it...................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The wiring for carts without a solid state controller would be a 36 volt system with large coil resistors equipped cart. Melting normally is caused by loose or high resistance ( poor connections ) cable contacts?
The function of diode and resistor is to lengthen the life of large contacts and pull in coil on solenoid and I have seen used on either type of speed controls.
The solenoid you installed could either be defective, installed incorrectly ( should be mounted in vertical position ) or wired incorrectly ( which would cause overheating because of being in closed position all the time ) and could draw batterys down? You have a problem that must be solved if cart can be moved with key in off position?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Dinger
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info guys. I did find one of the large wires to the new selonoid was getting quite warm. I replaced the end and it no longer does that. I guess I'm now just wondering if the resistor and diode are necessary on the selonoid since it seems to work fine now without them. Do they have anything to do with the charging system or controling the automatic charger? I don't think so but don't want to be missing something.
Dinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you really don,t need them there are lots of carts running without them but it is better to have them there........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car