lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Default Motor "clanking"

Hey everyone - first post, been lurking for a while.

Anyway, I have a 1999 Club Car 48v. There is a horrible noise coming from the motor area. Its sort of a clanking sound. It does it in reverse, in forward and when coasting (even if I pop it in N when coasting). If im going down a hill, it will make the noise. When i start to go back up, and give it gas, the noise will go away, until i get towards the top of the hill, then it returns. I have read several threads but havent seemed to find anything solid.

I have asked elsewhere, with no solid info. Someone mentioned a "$20 kit", but that was it. Figured I would abandon ship and try to get some real info here. Anyone ever heard of this?
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Motor "clanking"

any vibration along with the noise? thats the motor centering kit they are referring to but i beleive if thats the issue you,ll have vibration..........are you certain its the motor and not the rear end or brakes?............welcome to BGW...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds like you need to replace the motor to differential input shaft GUIDE RING #101789101, RETAINER RING #101822801 and use adhesive #101813202?
This keeps armature lined up with differential input shaft because there is no bearing holding up armature at that end.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Thanks!! Ill look in to that. I guess I should have stated that my motor is a GE D380. Not sure if that changes anything but just wanted you guys to know. I just bought this cart (my first) for $175 and had to put batteries in it. This clanking has me worried that I am in over my head now though.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/827/hzt.mp4/

i tried to record the sound.....
Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

will those part numbers still work for the GE motor? Im going to try it as such a chap price.....
Old 09-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
Sounds like you need to replace the motor to differential input shaft GUIDE RING #101789101, RETAINER RING #101822801 and use adhesive #101813202?
This keeps armature lined up with differential input shaft because there is no bearing holding up armature at that end.
If the 1999 cart's serial # is 9912 752697 or later then it needs a "motor centering kit" part # AM 10039
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Thanks for that part number!!!! Can you confirm it will fit the GE motor, as I understand this motor didnt originally come in this cart....
Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

It should work as far as I can tell as GE motors were used on later models and work with earlier models?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunoco View Post
Thanks for that part number!!!! Can you confirm it will fit the GE motor, as I understand this motor didnt originally come in this cart....
I am not sure about the fit, but the kit fits externally on the transmission splined shaft and not internally in the motor shaft. Go to Search and type in
" fitting a motor bumper ring to a 1999 DS " read the whole thread, it should give you some useful info. It certainly worked on the cart that I was sorting out.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car