lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Messed up my lights, looking for some help.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ken View Post
Here is what i Know so far........The only thing inline between the battery and the light switch is a fuse. The fuse is good, and there is definitely no power to the lights. There is 12 v to one side of the light switch, when I turn the light switch on, There is no power to the other side of the switch, and I lose power to the input of the switch. I thought it might be a bad switch so I hooked up the ignition switch I just took out, which I know is good, and it does the same thing, So it looks like I either fried something between the switch and lights, or something entirely different. It doesnt look like there are any fuses between the light switch and lights, so where does that leave me???? I guess I can check all of the wiring between the switch and lights and make sure there isnt a short somewhere but other than that Im at a loss............and ideas?????
So you have a 12v power feed to one side of the switch and confirmed there is power on that feed? And when you turn the light switch on you loose this 12v feed, correct? Have you tried to just run a 12v test wire from the feed for the lights to your battery and see if they work? Maybe there is a wiring issue upstream?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

You are right. I ran a test wire from the battery to the switch and got the same results. I didn't run one directly to a light though. It kind of sounds to me like I shorted something between the switch and the lights
Mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
You are right. I ran a test wire from the battery to the switch and got the same results. I didn't run one directly to a light though. It kind of sounds to me like I shorted something between the switch and the lights
I agree.

I would run the same test wire from the battery to your light feed wire that you are connecting to the headlamp switch and see if the lights come on. If not, then your issue is in the existing feed from your lights to hdl switch.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

I tried running a feed to the light wire and got nothing. The jumper wire I used coming Off one battery lead is showing 22 volts so something is way wrong here
Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Here is what is confusing me:

1. Power at light switch is 12v . . . (it is a 6-8v battery system, yes?)
a. No converter/reducer installed???
2. Power appears to come from one 8v battery . . .
a. Trace wire and look for reducer???
3. Power from jumper wire you used off of one battery is 22v . . .
a. Which battery did you use for your jumper???

Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

I believe that would be 48v at the switch and not 12v, correct?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
schesley
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

My aftermarket light kit has a relay. Do you have a relay switch? More than 12v going into the relay will toast it. If that's all it is, you can find one online for less than $10.
schesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #18
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Here is what i Know so far........The only thing inline between the battery and the light switch is a fuse. The fuse is good, and there is definitely no power to the lights. There is 12 v to one side of the light switch, when I turn the light switch on, There is no power to the other side of the switch, and I lose power to the input of the switch. I thought it might be a bad switch so I hooked up the ignition switch I just took out, which I know is good, and it does the same thing, So it looks like I either fried something between the switch and lights, or something entirely different. It doesnt look like there are any fuses between the light switch and lights, so where does that leave me???? I guess I can check all of the wiring between the switch and lights and make sure there isnt a short somewhere but other than that Im at a loss............and ideas?????
Power to the switch until turned on... how long before power returns to the switch once turned off? Could there be a breaker kicking out once power is applied because of a possible short? Have you checked for continuity in your light wiring?

Can you get 8 or 16 volts to headlights or tail lights to see if they work?
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

here is what I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Here is what is confusing me:

1. Power at light switch is 12v . . . (it is a 6-8v battery system, yes?)

is has 6 8 volt batteries.
a. No converter/reducer installed???

There is nothing inline between the battery and light switch other than a fuse holder

2. Power appears to come from one 8v battery . . .

It does, the existing light feed is off the first battery in the series
a. Trace wire and look for reducer???
Havent found one so far......

3. Power from jumper wire you used off of one battery is 22v . . .

Yes, but after looking again, let me explain. I am having trouble finding a solid ground up front to test off of. I I used the ground out of the harness for a headlight, and that showed 22 v in that jumper wire. When I test the jumper and use the battery ground, it is `12 volts. I guess I need to run a jumper ground wire from the battery so I can get an accurate test

a. Which battery did you use for your jumper???

First in the series, same as the existing light feed

Old 10-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #20
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by schesley View Post
My aftermarket light kit has a relay. Do you have a relay switch? More than 12v going into the relay will toast it. If that's all it is, you can find one online for less than $10.

There is no relay I can see directly in the circuit. There is one thing that resembles a relay under the dash that is a small cylinder, but the wires go right in to the harness. Im gonna google and see if I can find a pic of one
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car