lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #11
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

Default Re: CC Precedent Electric Smell

Tommy
run you cart for a few minutes without STALLING and feel the temperature of the motor (normal operation ) ....then next time you SMELL ELECTRICAL feel the motor temp.

Stalling a motor.......... a condition known as LOCKED ROTOR with increase amperage draw and generate instant heat which can cook your motor and melt the windings.

in early stages you are smelling burning insulation or epoxy, or even brush sparks on commutator

my bet is on the motor not the controller ( but i've been corrected before )

if you stall a cart get off the accelerator ASAP.
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
TommyBass
Not Yet Wild

I have not smelled it again yet. Im guessing that probably was my issue. I never held it down more than a second or two but that may have been enough. Would / could it have caused me any performance issues or permanant damage? The cart still seems to run OK? Thanks for the awareness on this, might have saved me some bigger headaches.

Next time I smell it I'll look around, and before then I'll get a base feel on temperatures. I double checked all of the connections on the controller etc last night with a wrench, they all seemed good. The motor looks hard to get to... any access tips other than jacking the thing up pretty high? It does have a 6" lift so that helps.
TommyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

tommy,

the motor is easy to get to .
on the very back of the cart (low down )is a storage compartment. Inside this compartment is a removable panel that gives direct axcess to the motor.
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, precedent, smell
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car