lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default I need some advice on some used batteries

I need some advice, are these a good deal? I'm switching out the 6v's to 8v's and don't relish the thought on spending $700 on another set of batteries.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvs/4101680541.html

Quote:
$350, For sale, Set of 6, Energizer GC8 deep cycle batteries for Golf carts, Scissor lifts etc. with a 48 volt system. I purchased these from a friend in 2011 who used them for about 6 months in a 72 volt electric car. I put 3 of them in my 24 volt high lift and have 6 left over . They have been stored charged and read over 8 volts on a meter. they were made in 2010 and are in good condition. New batteries like these are at least $120.00 each. Save some money and get that old golf cart going again! $350.00 obo they are in Colton but can be brought in to Portland. Call Gary anytime at 503-eight nine one-621eight or e-mail, Please no texts.
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: I need some advice on some used batteries

You need to make up your own mind on these, but here are some pros and cons to help a little.

PROS

1. They are cheap - Try for $50 ea ($300) or less.
2. They visually look OK

CONS

1. They are 3 years old !!
2. You really can't be sure how well they were taken care of. Sulfation is definitely a concern with stored batteries.

Definitely a crap shoot here. See if you could get some sort of a trial period from the seller, or get him to agree to have them tested before you commit.
Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Get an SOC chart and physically see if they are fully charged. If not, what makes you think they ever were? If so... Still a crap shoot, but the odds may be more in your favor.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good points guys. I'll admit I am leery about them. The sulfide didnt even occure to me and i also dont know how he has maintained them. The guy has been running that ad for probably two months or so. I don't think he would agree to a trial run and I'm nowhere near ready to use them. Where they are at is a drive from where I live so I'm not sure its even worth the drive to go test them. He said he would bring them into town but I don't want to put anyone through any trouble if I don't buy them. Sigh, I think I'll forego them and suck it up and buy some new ones when the time comes. I figure somewhere around spring once the suspension and body are done. Thanks again for the advice guys, its one heck of a crap shoot.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Ask him for a photo of each battery hooked up to a DMM, with two decimal places.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

$350 seems a bit steep for 3 year old batts that are Energizers.
Now if they were Trojans, a little different story.
And they are 3 years old, so probably at least half way through their useful lives...
But he does say OBO, so if he gets you some pics of the insides, and they look ok, you may be able to get a better price on them. Good luck
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Ask him for a photo of each battery hooked up to a DMM, with two decimal places.
That's a good idea, I'll have to shoot him an e-mail tonight. What should they be reading to make them worth buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
$350 seems a bit steep for 3 year old batts that are Energizers.
Now if they were Trojans, a little different story.
And they are 3 years old, so probably at least half way through their useful lives...
But he does say OBO, so if he gets you some pics of the insides, and they look ok, you may be able to get a better price on them. Good luck
I take it trojans are worth more? And thanks for the luck, I'm going to need it, lol.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Trojans cost more for a reason..
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, the guy with the batteries just got back to me. He's unable to attach pics but he told me they haven't been on a charger for 6 months and the readings are: 8.01, 7.8, 7.81, 8.02, 7.95, 7.82. Thoughts?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

they are DEAD......run away.......fast
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO