lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Default Battery question

Is it purely longevity that sets all the different brands apart?

I have a Sam's membership, but online all they show is Energizer and Duracell, which I would think are no good?

I know everyone says Trojan are the best, but would I get the same longevity from say a Napa brand?

Also, does it matter which model # you go with? If so, how do I know which one?

Thanks in advance for my newb questions

EDIT: yes I read the battery comparison sticky....that's mostly gibberish to me tho lol
Mrjonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Battery question

link ---> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html
Old 10-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Speedylifsavr
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I bought my new to me cart a few months ago with 2011 Duracells from SAMS. They still hold a 100% charge and perform great.
Speedylifsavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedylifsavr View Post
I bought my new to me cart a few months ago with 2011 Duracells from SAMS. They still hold a 100% charge and perform great.
Hmm....good to know

Of course they don't list prices so I don't know if they are worth it.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedylifsavr View Post
Glad to hear they lasted 3 months!

Just kidding.....I have seen trojans last 7 years though.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjonman View Post
1. Is it purely longevity that sets all the different brands apart?

2. I have a Sam's membership, but online all they show is Energizer and Duracell, which I would think are no good?

3. I know everyone says Trojan are the best, but would I get the same longevity from say a Napa brand?

4. Also, does it matter which model # you go with? If so, how do I know which one?

Thanks in advance for my newb questions

EDIT: yes I read the battery comparison sticky....that's mostly gibberish to me tho lol
1. Longevity is one of the yardsticks used for comparisons, however there several factors the contribute to longevity; And some of the contributing factors reside in the application (Cart, Driver, Terrain, Climate, Maintenance, Etc) rather than the battery itself.

In general terms, there are more differences between different grades of batteries within the same brand than there are between the same grade of batteries in different brands.

2. Energizer and Duracell cart batteries fall into the same category as Store brands, they are re-labeled products from one or more major battery manufacturers. Sometimes the fine print on the label will say who the manufacturer is, but not always.

Also, the manufacturer for re-labeled batteries change, so the re-labeled batteries someone had a good, or bad, experience with might not be the same batteries currently being sold by the same vendor.

3. Trojan was the best, but now that is debatable. Personally, I believe it is a five-way tie between Crown, Deka, Exide, Trojan and US Battery. It should be noted that many re-labeled batteries are made by these manufacturers.

NAPA golf cart batteries used to be made by Exide, but I believe they are now made be East Penn (Deka). The 8144 is the economy grade and won't last as long as the 8146, which is the standard grade.

4. The Model# is important because different models have different Amp-Hour ratings and the AH @ the 20 hour rate is the most important factor.

The de facto standard for a 36V battery pack is 225AH. With other factors equal, higher AH rated batteries will have greater longevity and lower AH rated batteries won't last as long.

The best bang for the buck is typically buying the highest Amp-Hour batteries you can afford at the lowest price you can find locally.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My Exides lasted nine years to the month.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Dang johnnie B, thanks for that. Exactly the info I needed.

I've got a friend that works for Napa (corporate side) he can get me a discount but after shipping it would probably be a wash, still tho, he is checking on the 8146 for me.

I might swing by Sam's today and see what they've got, otherwise locally I haven't found a place everyone recommends. Well someone told me Batteries Plus, but they seem to carry off brand stuff.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

1 more question.....lots of Craigslist ads for ppl doing selling recharged batteries, $59.99.....this can't be a good route to take, right?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Don't waste your money!!!
Thatsme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO