lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
CTXBULL
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Charger Getting Warm

NEW CART Owner here. I just bought two EZ Go Carts and cautiously added water as I have read through here to cover the plates. Charged both for the MY first time and noticed both chargers were "warm" one seemed to be more than the other. The chargers came with each cart and are the small rectangle box with flashing lights (green solid when fully charged) as indicated on the side. One cart I left on overnight and the green light was solid when I checked it before leaving, the other just seemed too warm and I took it off before it reached solid green. What concerns do I have to watch for or am I just too over cautious?
Thank you very muck
CTXBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Battery Charger Getting Warm

The chargers will normally generate some heat, that is why they have all them big 'ol fins on them. If you are truly that concerned, measure the voltage of the "normal" cart while nearly finished charging, and compare the voltage to the other one while on charge. You should not be seeing voltages below 51v, nor above about 61v, while plugged in to the charger. Also, did you try just switching chargers to see if the problem may be in the charger or cart.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
crash test dummy

welcome to BGW
Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

BULL, first off, what year, make and model are the carts....are they 36v or 48v carts. that will determine what the shutoff voltage is......a 36v carts batteries, when being charged will shut off when fully charged at about 45v......and then check the pack voltage 12 hours later, it will settle to 38.2 volts if the batteries are at 100%.

oh and btw......CONGRATS on the rides, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Oops, you got me... I almost forgot about the 36v Delta-QE.. We dont really carry new TXTs, and only order them when needed. If you have a 36v cart, the on-charge voltages you would be looking for are between 37v and 45v.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
CTXBULL
Not Yet Wild

thanks to all for the replies. Both carts are 2007 refurbished with 2010 controller, batteries and motor. I was told that the batteries can "condition" and should see increases in voltage as I continue to add water and charge. Both are 36V and I am seeing 38.5-38.8 on each.
I am ready for lifts, seats and Freedom Chips!! :-)
CTXBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It's completely normal for a golf cart charger to reach ~180°F while charging.

Also, since your 2007's came with 2010 controllers I don't think there's a spot for a freedom chip or any chip. I'm not positive though, someone might chime in soon and tell you for sure.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO