lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Default battery thirst question

just wondering, some of my batteries have an awful thirst, I can fill, refill next day, and a few days later, have to fill again.

Some batteries run almost bone dry, and I notice there is a lot of acid leakage, so some basic battery care questions: Does battery age factor into the thirst issue? I try to fill after charging now, but some carts still produce a lot of leaks.

I was told I should leave charger on every night, they are work carts, they don't run all day, just used for transport here and there, distance wise they don't travel much in a day.
plantguy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery thirst question

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantguy90 View Post
just wondering, some of my batteries have an awful thirst, I can fill, refill next day, and a few days later, have to fill again.

Some batteries run almost bone dry, and I notice there is a lot of acid leakage, so some basic battery care questions: Does battery age factor into the thirst issue? I try to fill after charging now, but some carts still produce a lot of leaks.

I was told I should leave charger on every night, they are work carts, they don't run all day, just used for transport here and there, distance wise they don't travel much in a day.
This is TRUE. plug them in everyday.

the water issue you described.....you have GOT to have some batteries that have cracked cases.....otherwise....you should NEVER have to refill that often. I live where is HOT and only have to put water in about once a month.

AND if you have batteries that have gone DRY.....its time to go to the BATTERY STORE.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you deep discharge the batteries they will gas much more during charging loosing more water then "normal". Do you have a battery meter, either a bar style or better yet digital? If not you need one to prevent over discharging the batteries and shortening their life dramatically.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Old batteries use more water because they charge harder as they loose their ability to recuperate. Get a meter, Charging every night is not needed for a cart that goes short distance. My personal shop cart might go 500 ft 3-4 times a day. I recharge about once a week when the meter says it needs it

Excessive charging is not good and may shorten the useful life of the batteries -
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
tteckster
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Excessive charging is not good and may shorten the useful life of the batteries -
So, you're saying it's better to only charge when SOC meter hits a certain number? Not every time you ride and park?
tteckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
grhopper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If so, what's the magic number for a 48v pack?
grhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
rib33024

the magic number for a 48v pack, is to charge when it is 48 volts, that is 50%
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
grhopper
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I know not to let it get below 50%, but should I wait till it gets to 50% before charging? I usually plug it in each night, and I know it doesn't get that low every day. The cart may get driven a mile or 2 per day.
grhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Weird part is the batteries (Trojans) boil off a lot of water, but they still read off around 6.5 v, but all that acid isn't great.
plantguy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Old batteries use more water because they charge harder as they loose their ability to recuperate. Get a meter, Charging every night is not needed for a cart that goes short distance. My personal shop cart might go 500 ft 3-4 times a day. I recharge about once a week when the meter says it needs it

Doesn't the smart charger detect that they are pretty much charged, and simply go into maintenance mode?
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO