lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
stewiemason
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Headlight install - new install not working

I purchased a headlight/taillight set and a voltage reducer for my new-to-me 1999 EZGO golft cart. The lights came in today so I tried to install them, but no luck. I'm reaching out as I am stuck.

Details:

I installed the voltage reducer and the light kit into the golf cart. I then connected all wires. I turned on the golf cart and then the light switch, but nothing. I had my neighbor come over and we traced the wires. They were all correct.

I then bypassed the voltage reducer and tied directly into the batteries in the golf cart (36v cart). I tried the switch again and within a few seconds I saw some flickering light out of the front middle red lights and then SMOKE. The smoke was white and was coming from the red lights' plastic cover. The light inside was hot enough that it was melting the plastic.

At no point did the 15v fuse blow and I am assuming that the light kit did not go DOA on me.

I waited until the smoke cleared, literally, and tried with the reducer again.

Any advice is appreciated as I don't know if I got a bum headlight kit or am missing something.

Thanks in advance! I have been scouring this forum over the last month and finally registered.
stewiemason is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Shanewaters04
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Headlight install - new install not working

Have a model/brand of reducer? And from the description u fried taillight LEDs with the 36 volts since they was made for 12 volts
Shanewaters04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
stewiemason
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The brand is Super night. It is a 36v to 12v reducer from Amazon.

I assumed I probably fried the lights. They are the front red lights closest to the EZGO badge. I am wondering if I killed the whole front light kit by doing so? I mistakenly hooked up the first and last and not the first and second battery in the line.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
stewiemason
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This morning I tried bypassing the reducer again and tying directly to 2 batteries. Same result as with reducer, nothing.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Chances are you fried the lights. 12 volt lights don't like 36.. There is a 12 volt circuit for the lights. Hook that up to a 12v source first and break out the volt meter. Not sure about the reducer but most have a ground, a constant 36, a switched trigger 36 and a 12v out. Check those too.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
stewiemason
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, thanks. I did start out with the reducer but got nothing so I screwed up and hooked them to the 36v setup. Would hooking it up to the entire 36v fry the whole set or just the 2 lights that smoked? If it is only the front side markers that fried I am going to keep them, if not, then I guess I am going to have to get a new set.

Either way, I am dead in the water.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
stewiemason
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I stopped by a local golf cart store on my lunch break and was told that I probably fried the entire kit once I connected to 36V.

The front side markers and back lights are LED and they probably got hot and fried while the bulbs on the halogens instantly blew due to the 36V running to them.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO