lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #11
chriskent85
Gone Wild

Default Re: Looking for help deciding on motor

I did. He recommended to turn turbo off with his bandit motor. He has a video of the bandit motor turning over 1000rpms.
chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #12
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a two speed EMP motor. If you haven't already shipped yours, you may want to look into or call about one of these. They can be shifted, from drive type to drive type, on the fly so you would go from torque, to get you rolling, then to speed mode for the cruise.
Dollar for dollar, it was the best deal I found.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
UFGators
Not Yet Wild

I am running a d and d 63-49 in 48v with 500 amp controller with 23 inch tires and 12 inch wheels. I get 28mph with massive amounts of torque.
UFGators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:42 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskent85 View Post
I did. He recommended to turn turbo off with his bandit motor. He has a video of the bandit motor turning over 1000rpms.
I suspect you meant 10,000 RPM.
That is 55 MPH with 23" tires and 12.44:1 gears, but you'll never get close to that with 48V.

Did he also mention turning off regen braking?
Have you upgraded, or are you planning to upgrade, your rear wheel only mechanic drum brakes?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:52 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe View Post
I have a two speed EMP motor. If you haven't already shipped yours, you may want to look into or call about one of these. They can be shifted, from drive type to drive type, on the fly so you would go from torque, to get you rolling, then to speed mode for the cruise.
Dollar for dollar, it was the best deal I found.
chriskent85 has a Sepex drive and EMP two-speed motors are Series.

Not sure if anyone is producing a two-speed Sepex motor.

On the other hand, a two speed differential will work with Sepex, or any type, motor.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #16
chriskent85
Gone Wild

Im deff not looking to go any faster than 30mph. Just want to be able to do it safely and not have to worry about the motor blowing apart on me. I was just using the 10000 RPM's video as an example that i should be able to do 30 with the bandit without worrying about it blowing apart like D&D said their motor might at that speed.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskent85 View Post
Im deff not looking to go any faster than 30mph. Just want to be able to do it safely and not have to worry about the motor blowing apart on me. I was just using the 10000 RPM's video as an example that i should be able to do 30 with the bandit without worrying about it blowing apart like D&D said their motor might at that speed.
There has to be some miscommunication or misunderstanding someplace.

At 30MPH any motor in any cart with 23" tall tires and 12.44:1 gears will only be spinning at about 5,500RPM, which is well below D&D's most conservative RPM recommendation.

I can understand D&D saying a 400A controller isn't big enough for some of their high torque motors, but that has nothing to do with RPM.

FWIW: My tires are only 17" tall, so my D&D motor spins at 7,000RPM at 28.5MPH, which is my max speed on level ground at 42V. However, I seldom go over the 25MPH speed limit on most of the streets I drive on, which is about 6,200RPM.

On the other hand, I did explode the armature in a stock PDS motor with a DCX400 controller, but it was a combination of spinning it over 8,000RPM going down a hill and hitting it with max regen braking when it was close to the max allowable case temperature of 239°F.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

D&D has been in the cart motor industry for over 20 yrs. They make one of the best motors in the market place today. They know what their product can and can not do. They use trusted formulas to identify high risk applications. It is in their interest to avoid such applications. I have found that if they say it will work it will.
I will be interested to follow this cart to see how the bandit holds up considering what D&D has said. Keep us posted.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #19
chriskent85
Gone Wild

My thoughts on this is if the stock motor is pushing the rpms and 30mph than you would think a speed motor would have a higher safe rpm range. I even told them that i wasnt looking at going faster that 30, just wanted more torque with same speed.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #20
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What is the rpm limit on the bandit?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO