lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
devybob
Gone Wild

Default radio cuts out

My radio cuts out while depressing the accelerator pedal. I read (but can't find) that there is a fix for this. Please help.
devybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
Birddog4x4
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: radio cuts out

Ensure all wire connections are tight, and good ground. I have not ran my stereo yet, but plan on using an extra 12v battery. I am sure someone will chime in here soon..... hopefully it's an easy fix.
Birddog4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

How are you powering your radio?
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
devybob
Gone Wild

I'm using a voltage reducer
devybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Seems voltage must be dropping to low for the dc/dc convertor to be happy. What convertor u using? Voltage of cart? Known good batteries? Convertor hooked to correct battery terminals?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:00 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Does it die any time you're driving or only during hard acceleration? Mine died for a second or two during hard acceleration while crossing a street with the pedal to the metal with a 500 amp controller.

A capacitor will solve that problem. They are sold for car stereos that pull a lot of amps during loud/hard bass. A capacitor can be installed on the 36/48 volt side or the 12 volt side.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Shanewaters04
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

My stereo dies when on am/fm when pedal is depressed but not when stereo is on aux, mine is on separate battery from my cart.
Shanewaters04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Does it die any time you're driving or only during hard acceleration? Mine died for a second or two during hard acceleration while crossing a street with the pedal to the metal with a 500 amp controller.

A capacitor will solve that problem. They are sold for car stereos that pull a lot of amps during loud/hard bass. A capacitor can be installed on the 36/48 volt side or the 12 volt side.

If you put the cap on the 36/48v side, the controller will just "steal" the power back from the capacitor. Needs to be on the 12v side.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One or two diodes will prevent the 36/48 volt cap(s) from letting their juice go the wrong way.

I never got around to installing cap(s) in mine, but didn't see that it would make any difference which side it was installed on, if done correctly, and it would need to provide fewer amps on the 36/48 volt side.

A cap's energy = 1/2CV^2, so with higher voltage, I figured you have a LOT more energy stored on the higher voltage side.

Also, a 12 volt cap "might" require a series inductor, to limit its amperage draw, depending on the size of the reducer and cap. A cap acts as a short until charged and might overwhelm a reducer.

I figured this would do the trick on 48 volts, but at 150 pounds, it's probably overkill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 108-0864_IMG.JPG (169.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One thing you might check is the see if for some reason your reducer looses 36/48 volt power when you go. There might be something not quite wired up, and you may be loosing power, either to the reducer inputs or the on/off sense wire.

My capacitor solution will only prevent momentary drop outs when accelerating or climbing a steep hill.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO