lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
jsabowabo
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 EZGO PDS shuts down after 20 Min

I just bought a 2006 Ezgo TXT PDS, 36v cart. It's all stock, with new batteries and a Curtis 300 amp stock replacement controller. I piled the family on it, including Grandma and cruised the neighborhood (3 adults, 3 kids). It shut down after about 20 minutes and refused to move. After 3-4 min it started again like nothing was wrong and shut down again after a few minutes.

I lifted the seat and noticed the controller was really hot, so I'm thinking thermal shutdown.

The next day I took it out solo for 20-min. It did not shut down but I noticed the negative cable from the battery to the solenoid was very hot and smelled like burning plastic. The cable looks new (all of the cables do because the previous owner replaced them). None of the other cables are warm. They are all 6ga.

Any idea what's wrong with the cart? I ordered up new 2ga cabling as a precaution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h49id3.jpg (78.4 KB, 0 views)
jsabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2006 EZGO PDS shuts down after 20 Min

The stock control is engineered for 2 people to golf. Adding a rear seat and extra passengers increases the load which increases the amount of amperage the motor has to draw to complete a given task. This increase results in added heat and the controller is going into thermal shut down until it cools. You are looking at an aftermarket DCX or XCT 400a control, HD solenoid, and a fresh set of 4g cables to solve the problem completely.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
jsabowabo
Not Yet Wild

Scottyb- That's what I though too, but when I drove with just me in the cart it still got really hot. The negative cable to the solenoid was almost hot enough to burn my hand.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The contacts are probably burnt & pitted causing a compromised connection resulting in heat. Heat damage is the most common cause of electronic failure in golf cart drive components. Put a new solenoid on it but the controller will continue to go into thermal shutdown - more and more often until one day it won't come back on. This is a pretty common scenario.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

do you have big tires on your cart or are they stock sized?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
jsabowabo
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I was hoping being the Curtis controller I have is a 300amp unit I wouldn't have to replace it. I think I'll try an HD Solenoid along with the 2ga battery to solenoid cabling.

Yes, the tires/wheels are stock size.

After I save up a bit I'll probably buy the Alltrax 400.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Get a 200a HD 36v solenoid. Change all 10 cables not just one. 4g is all that is needed for 400a operation.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #8
jsabowabo
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scottyb
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO