lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #21
Klunky Chris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Repair or replace? 92 EZ go motor

Ok, spent about an hour with 2 people and a dog in the cart driving slowly around the property. It might have been considered creeping. Entire hour was spent very light on the peddle and nowhere near 'stalling' just got back and checked the pack is at 38v even which I think is pretty good after an hour? (Pack is fairly new)

However... IR thermometer on the motor read 127° F!

That seems pretty hot to me? Is this because the brushes aren't worn in yet? I haven't upgraded the cabling yet, but I cleaned all the contact points and disassembled and cleaned the F/R switch and none of the cables were hot.
F/R switch read about 90° F, cables all seemed to be 80° F Ambient is 62° F.
I know I need beter cabling than the 6 awg, but would that be the reason the motor is so hot?

Or maybe 127° F is normal for a series motor?

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all the great help so far!

BTW here is a pic of the old girl!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (368.5 KB, 0 views)
Klunky Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #22
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That is a good plan. New brushes are hard on the armature at first.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #23
Klunky Chris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, some quick searching here seems to indicate under 200° F is ok?
Sure seems hot!

My plan is 1/0 cabling although no mods to the controller solenoid or F/R switch are planned right now. Later maybe 😆
Old 10-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The max temperature for the windings (which where the Class-H insulation actually is) is 356°F (180°C), but that has to be derated unless you have some way of measuring the temperature inside the windings themselves. There are motors out there with thermocouples embedded in the windings, but measuring the housing temperature is about the only way most cart owners have and when measured at the surface of the motor housing, the max recommended temperature for a motor with Class-H insulation is 239°F (115°C).

At 127°F, your motor is running relatively cool and the heat build up that exists is more due to it being ran at low RPM than anything else. In fact, the cables and F/R assembly warming up considerably is actually keeping the motor temperature down.

In a nutshell anything other than the motor getting hot is a sign of amps being converted to heat by the resistance within those objects rather than being passed through the motor windings, where the amps are converted to torque or heat.

Nothing but the motor should get too hot to hold barehanded for an extended period of time. Ideally, the cables and F/R shouldn't climb more than about 10°F above ambient, the solenoid may climb a bit more due to it being an energized electromagnet and a controller typically drops about 0.10V per 100A of current passing through it, so it'll get mighty warm at low speeds and/or heavy loads.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #25
Klunky Chris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie! That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the confirmation.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO