lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
Biohazardshrimp
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club car charging problems.

Ok so I'm new here and new to carts in general. I have a 2013 Precedent. It's a 48v and it was really fun until I left the tow/run switch on for two weeks without riding or charging it. I went to ride it the other day and the volt meter bar was flashing and I realized I had left it on. I plugged the charger in and of course the charger wouldn't come on. So I started looking at ways to charge the batteries a little so I could use the normal charger. First I disconnected one 8v battery and tried to charge it solo with a 12 v charger that was a "smart" charger. It wouldn't work because it knew the battery wasn't 12v. So I bought a cheap harbor freight battery charger and tried to charge it in 6v and it said the battery was full. Then I figured I would charge the whole 48v bank. I used one of the Stanley golf cart golf cart battery chargers and hooked it up using the ring terminals. When I plug it in it registers the battery bank as only 12v. What is going on? I tried charging three batteries in series and it only registers as a 6v battery, what am I doing wrong?
Biohazardshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club car charging problems.

Try a 12 volt automotive charger across 1 or 2 batteries at a time; just don't leave them unattended while doing this... Do you have a volt meter to get readings from these batteries? They sound like they may be dead dead and leaving the tow/run switch on should not have kilt the batteries if the key was off...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
Biohazardshrimp
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I will measure the voltage when I get home but I seem to remember checking in and it was around 6.7 volts per battery.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

TEERCO is correct, the tow run switch doesn't have anything to do with the batteries. Its just that, if you need to tow the vehicle or do maintenance on it. As long as the keys off, your good. 35 volts is right in the gray area of getting the charger to kick on.
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Actually, turning the Tow/Run switch to "Tow" is the correct procedure if the cart will be parked for more than 1 week.

The controller logic is not disabled by turning the key switch OFF, it continues to power the speed sensor and monitor various inputs like the FNR.

You should always plug the charger after using the cart, regardless of how long You used the cart.

You should also turn the Tow/Run switch to "Tow" for extended, more than 1 week, storage.

Since You have been charging batteries individually, You also need to perform an OBC reset so the charging system will work correctly.

Just unplug the pack negative cable for more than 10 minutes and the OBC will reset automatically.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Biohazardshrimp
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok I will try that today. Thank you.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazardshrimp View Post
I will measure the voltage when I get home but I seem to remember checking in and it was around 6.7 volts per battery.
40.2 volts overall is not enough to get the stock charger to come on it needs to see least 42 volts and 6.7 volts per battery is off the chart DEAD...
Old 10-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
Biohazardshrimp
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am new to this hobby so I don't understand why there has to be 42v to start the charger. The whole point of a charger is to charge dead batteries. And I know you aren't supposed to run a battery dead but it seams like the charger should always be allowed to charge a battery when it's low.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #9
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

It's a safety thing. If the charger "sees" a certain voltage then it "knows" whatever is connected to the other end will be able to take the blast it's going to get (not the mower battery or your dog).

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:54 AM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazardshrimp View Post
I am new to this hobby so I don't understand why there has to be 42v to start the charger. The whole point of a charger is to charge dead batteries. And I know you aren't supposed to run a battery dead but it seems like the charger should always be allowed to charge a battery when it's low.
Well there you go trying to make sense of what does not make sense... It's a safety thing... Boost your battery voltage up 1 or 2 battery at a time with a 12 volt car battery charger for 10 to 20 minutes each, that should boost your voltage up enough for the cart charger to take over once it sees enough voltage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car