lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
Dawgfan77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 96 DS... Solid state upgrade possibly..

I have a 96 CC DS coil resistor cart, (the TURD) my kids call it. Its been a pretty good cart considering they beat the living hell out of it day after day. But it has required a bit of tinkering to keep it going. They tend to snag stuff with the throttle linkage and bend it, making constant adjustment of that and the V-glide necessary. Then last week it fried its first 5th Speed coil... which happens to be the most expensive one. So that needs replacing, and I figure I should probably do all of them since they are 20 yrs old... so with the costs rising, I started looking at a solid state controller upgrade from ScottyB.

I have a few concerns, its a stock 2 seater with no roof or anything. I have 5 acres of hills and miles of powerline connected to my property to ride on. The performance of the cart is fine now,... but I want big tires, more ground clearance, and a bed or fold down rear seat.
-Can anyone attest to the difference I will notice going from coil to the 1st level upgrade kit (Alltrax 350)?
-I need a new set of batteries, so is stepping up to 48V a "no brainer"?
-And if so, still worth it while keeping my stock motor-?

I don't care about top speed at all... I want torque
-I really like the ability to change "kid/adult" mode on the controller, for those with experience, Is this option easily operated and worth the upgrade?

Thanks in advance
Dawgfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
Dawgfan77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 DS... Solid state upgrade possibly..

Wow, thought their would be plenty of feedback on this, I guess I'll just have to check with ScottyB directly...
Old 11-09-2016, 11:49 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You have asked a tech question that few users know the answer to. The resistor coils are out of the power supply loop when the pedal is all the way to the floor. This means the motor will have a direct connection to the pack at that time. The Solid state system does give the same unlimited connection at about 400-500 amps. So with bigger tires and hilly terrain you would need the 500a kit just to match the resistor coil WOT connection. SO why do it, you ask?

Solid state offers reliable service that can cope with the higher amperage draw without the failures associated with the resistor coil drive systems. And - Solid state can cope with the higher amperage draws associated with big tires, rear seats, aftermarket motors, steep hills, and large hunting buddies onboard.
But best of all - The solid state conversion kit will allow the cart to be run on 48 volts which greatly increases torque, speed, and efficiency.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
Ironcross25
Not Yet Wild

I have an 89 coil cart I just bought for a deal. I ordered the base kit from scottyb and am going to 48v. It was an easy decision as I needed to replace batteries anyway. I went with that kit b/c it will be a campground cart and buzzing around my neighborhood and I'm not lifting it either so I didn't feel I needed to go balls out. Plan ahead if you have terrain and plan on bigger tires and other add ons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ironcross25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
Dawgfan77
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You have asked a tech question that few users know the answer to. The resistor coils are out of the power supply loop when the pedal is all the way to the floor. This means the motor will have a direct connection to the pack at that time. The Solid state system does give the same unlimited connection at about 400-500 amps. So with bigger tires and hilly terrain you would need the 500a kit just to match the resistor coil WOT connection. SO why do it, you ask?

Solid state offers reliable service that can cope with the higher amperage draw without the failures associated with the resistor coil drive systems. And - Solid state can cope with the higher amperage draws associated with big tires, rear seats, aftermarket motors, steep hills, and large hunting buddies onboard.
But best of all - The solid state conversion kit will allow the cart to be run on 48 volts which greatly increases torque, speed, and efficiency.
Thanks so much for the explanation. I was assuming that even the entry-level kit would be an upgrade in power from the stock resistor set-up. I definitely don't want to spend that much $$ only to take a step backwards.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The entry level kit is good for campground use and general flat area use.Guys who are looking to off road with bigger tires should not be looking at entry level kits. Typically these carts need 500a controls 400a solenoids and 2g cable sets to deliver the amperage needed to match these demands
Old 11-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
klubber
Gone Wild
Club Car

Never mind. went to Scotty B's website and answered my own question
klubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Lots of info there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car