lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
Knight Rider
Not Yet Wild

Default 01 CC DS 36v - F&R & Solenoid Install - Sparks!

Just picked up my first cart. I put in a solenoid and new F&R after a family friend in the business inspected it and recommended doing so. The cart had issues engaging in forward or reverse, it took about 5+ tries when pressing the pedal.

I hooked all wiring back up on the solenoid and F&R switch as it was when I took the old ones out. When I was making my final tightening of the nuts on the F&R purple wire, a bunch of sparks flew off it and I got a burnt hair smell. Now I am getting the reverse signal but no forward or reverse from the cart. I have a wiring diagram but apparently the PDF is too large to attach to this thread.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2016, 01:17 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 01 CC DS 36v - F&R & Solenoid Install - Sparks!

is this the diagram ?

Old 12-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
Knight Rider
Not Yet Wild

yes
Old 12-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
crash test dummy

do you hear the Solenoid click ?

btw ... when working on cart remove the main battery negative cable first and put it on last
Old 12-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you hook the purple wire to the wrong post and the forward reverse switch is in either forward or reverse you might have smoked the motor i hope that didnt happen i did it once costly repair
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
Knight Rider
Not Yet Wild

I did not hear anything click, however it happened really quickly so I can't be 100 certain.
Yes shame on me for tightening again when I already put the negative cable back on.

What would be the best way for me to see if I killed the motor? Or test any other components for failure?

The purple wire definitely went on the correct post. Same post it was on with the original F&R switch and the same post shown above on the diagram.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The purple cable by itself cannot cause any problems or shorting.

The question is what position was the FNR when you shorted the purple wire?

Since You still get the reverse buzzer, the motor Stator/Field coil is good.

If The key switch was ON at the time, You probably just blew up the micro-switch on the FNR.

Like Crash said, if You don't hear the solenoid click when you press the pedal, just follow the regular troubleshooting steps to determine the problem with the activation circuit.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #8
Knight Rider
Not Yet Wild

It is possible that the switch was moved into forward or reverse while tightening but I cannot recall for sure. I did not realize at the time the importance of keeping it in the middle. I'm new to working on carts so I am learning as I go. I got the cart for cheap knowing it would be a learning process. I appreciate the advice about this.

The key switch was not on. I did not have the keys in the cart at the time. I might try to put the old micro switch on to see if I can get a response. Thoughts?

I am not hearing any clicking. I read about that on other threads so it was one of the first things I looked for.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Safety first, always raise one of the rear wheels OFF the ground when troubleshooting electric carts.

Turn the FNR to the Forward position.

Turn the Key Switch ON.

Set Your meter to DC volts, 200v scale if not auto-scale.

Test #1:
Put the meter Black probe on Pack negative and the meter Red probe on the solenoid small wire coming from the FNR micro-switch (yellow on the diagram).

You should get +36v (pack voltage) when You press the pedal.

If You do not, most likely the micro-switch on the FNR is bad.
Test #2:
Put the meter Red probe on Pack positive and the meter Black probe on the solenoid small wire coming from the VGlide (green on the diagram).

You should get +36v (pack voltage) when You press the pedal.

If You do not, the micro-switch in the VGlide is bad.

Last edited by Sergio; 12-04-2016 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Cart is 36v...
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #10
Knight Rider
Not Yet Wild

Prior to reading your last post I stuck the old FR micro switch back on and it did nothing. I put the new one back on then tested voltage per your suggestion and I am getting 36 with the first test (fr switch fro solenoid and pack neg ) but not 36 from the vglide switch on solenoid to pack pos. The meter bounced around a lot but stopped around 13-14. I guess this means I need to pick a v glide micro switch? Any other tips or suggestions before I order one? Thank you
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car