lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default US Battery question

I have a question about the US Battery 8VGC vs Trojan T-875.
I know a lot of people say that Trojan is the best, but the numbers for the US are very similar, and they are about $25 cheaper. That's $150 cheaper for a set.

Has anyone that uses or used the US Batteries have any complaints? How long have they had them, or how long do they last?

Thanks
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
Vinny73
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: US Battery question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2504 View Post
I have a question about the US Battery 8VGC vs Trojan T-875.
I know a lot of people say that Trojan is the best, but the numbers for the US are very similar, and they are about $25 cheaper. That's $150 cheaper for a set.

Has anyone that uses or used the US Batteries have any complaints? How long have they had them, or how long do they last?

Thanks
To answer your question. US batteries are Junk! Junk! Junk! Junk! Had mine for 4.5 years, maintained them properly. Just bought a set of Trojan T-890's. Worth the extra money. I also upgraded my motor and controller so the load is high. Trojans have no problem! Very pleased! Trojan makes a battery called the Ranger as well. Much bigger capacity. Not sure on price
Vinny73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

My 2006 Club Car DS has the 4X12 volt battery system in it. I replaced the batteries in June of 2011 with US Batteries and they are working just fine.

They are coming up on 6 years old, and don't seem to be showing their age yet. I just went in the garage and checked, my pack voltage is at 51.1 and they finished charging about 24 hours ago.

Good luck with your decision,
Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I've had the USB red top 8V batteries for a year now and their holding up great.

I use a DPI charger set to the correct charge algorithm to maintain them and I feel this is the problem for those who say the're junk. They are trying to charge these batteries with a charger not equipped to top them completely off.

Around here the price difference between a set of USB red tops and Trojan T-875 is $8. I decided to be different since most folks us Trojans, but the specs are almost identical even warranties, but the USB weighed more (more lead).

You can't go wrong either way.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am going to buy a DPI charger, for the battery charge algorithm, and it should work better than the save-a battery maintainer for the winter storage.

Still undecided which ones to buy. I have a week or so to decide.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
Wjmulder
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

My cart came from a golf course with 8volt us batteries, just replacing them now after over 7 years....I'd pay more for us than Trojans.
Wjmulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

So I went with the US batteries, and the DPI charger April 2017. Everything was great, driving, charging, and watering as needed. I never let the state of charge get below 70%, before re-charging. We left the campground on the Tuesday after Labor day. Plugged the cart in as usual when we leave. Cart was at 49.9 volts when I plugged it in. We came back on Friday, and after I unplugged the cart, the volt meter read 49.7 volts. I thought to myself, hah. Maybe I didn't have the plug in all the way, but I always watch the charger before I leave to see it go up to 17 amps, like normal.

Long story, but then I tested all of the batteries 5 were at 8.50 volts, but 1 was at 6.48 volts. So I checked the water level and it was fine. I borrowed a 12 volt charger and put the 1 on charge for a bit, but that didn't seem to work. So I brought the bad battery home. I checked the gravity level for all cells, and low and behold, the first cell I tested didn't even move the needle. The next 3 cells were above 1.300. Tried the first one again, and nothing. So my warranty for the batteries is 18 months, so I am just under the wire for full replacement.

My question is after I install the new battery, should I charge the whole pack, or just the new one? I believe the new battery won't be at full charge.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #8
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Charge the whole pack to make sure all batteries balance. But just know that the new battery will quickly degrade to where the other (older) batteries are currently now. (If they've degraded at all in your opinion)

Good luck and i like a company that stands by their warranty.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #9
swsawyer@reagan.com
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

NCPW... your last line reminds me of something my Dad said, a long time ago...

I would rather pay a little more and occasionally have to re-work something to do business with a company that stands by their word and product than to go with the cheapest option, 2 or 3 times, before getting it right.

Thanks for reminding me of that.
swsawyer@reagan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsawyer@reagan.com View Post
NCPW... your last line reminds me of something my Dad said, a long time ago...

I would rather pay a little more and occasionally have to re-work something to do business with a company that stands by their word and product than to go with the cheapest option, 2 or 3 times, before getting it right.

Thanks for reminding me of that.
That's why I try and push the site sponsors on here when I can. Not only do they usually have a reasonable price, but the customer service that comes with the purchase is priceless.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha