lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Question about cheap trickle chargers/"maintainers"...

In my short time here, I have seen several threads about battery packs being left sitting for months and the resultant damage to the packs. JohnnieB, Scotty, etc - what about picking up 3-4 of the Harbor Freight or similar trickle chargers, disconnecting the pack from the cart and the appropriate battery cables so that there are 3 or 4 12 volt 2-in-series "subsets" and using these chargers on them? I realize these are pretty low-tech, but in my admittedly purely anecdotal experience, they work well for tractors, 4-wheelers, etc. to maintain the charge during extended "downtime." Of course, we are talking about 30.00 ATV batteries and 60-80 dollar tractor batteries, not a 6-800-plus dollar cart pack, but ???

Horrible Fright often has them for around 5 bucks (and the solar version for around 10-15 bucks) with their ever-present "coupon sales."
JoeBleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Question about cheap trickle chargers/"maintainers"...

Joe....you can get ONE maintainer that is rated for the voltage of your cart.....36v or 48v, etc.... and hook it across the entire pack....from the + of the first battery of the pack to the - of the last one in the pack. There is no need to remove the batteries or disconnect anything. DONE......one thing to remember.....like you said..."6-800-plus dollar cart pack"..... do you really take a chance with the CHEAP-O maintainer? well that's up to you.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...iner&*&spf=383
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
sltintexas
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the 48volt save a battery. I've gone through 2. they don't seem to last long.
sltintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

A couple of things, though:

It is my understanding (and I may be wrong) that all of the sub-100.00 or so "maintainers" are basically the same, technology-wise. The difference, if any, is only in the potential "build quality" of the particular unit. IOW, the $5.00 units may not last as long as a more-expensive one (but I haven't had any failures with any of several of them). If they are safe enough to use on the cart packs, I'd rather have 3 or 4 decent-enough $5-6.00 12 volt units rather than a single-purpose 36 or 48 volt unit (for 3-5 times the price) as they can be used for other, much more common 12 volt batteries that many of us have - tractors, mowers, gas carts, ATVs, 2nd cars, etc., etc., etc. . Of course, to each their own. For me, disconnecting the few connections on a cart's pack 3-4 times a year wouldn't be an inconvenience.

My underlying question is, "Is there a potential detriment or harm to the batteries to using the Harbor Freight and similar units?"
JoeBleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO