lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: EzGo battery upgrade for better range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperporsche180 View Post
Thank you for your response JohnnieB, its a Series drive system, 70-002-0001 motor, I'm not too sure on the tire size, I looked up the motor, looks like it brings top speed to 16mph, I hit 19mph on flat ground GPS verified. (24mph down hill) I wouldn't be sad if a 48V system increased the top speed a hair. Haha.

I am looking forward to learning more about electric golf carts, I am very pleased so many folks responded! I have been researching how they work so I can attempt to ask questions. Haha!
Be careful letting the motor over spin going down hill with a series cart. The only thing keeping the motor from failure due to high rpms is your right foot.

This is the same reason you should jack up the rear of the cart and hold down the go pedal. That's a sure way to upgrade you motor soon rather than later.

A Series cart is unlike a Sepex cart where the controller limits the rpms and keeps the motor in a safe range of operation.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #12
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

if you explode a motor by over-revving it WILL kill your controller as well....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you for your response JohnnieB, its a Series drive system, 70-002-0001 motor, I'm not too sure on the tire size, I looked up the motor, looks like it brings top speed to 16mph, I hit 19mph on flat ground GPS verified. (24mph down hill) I wouldn't be sad if a 48V system increased the top speed a hair. Haha.
Your D&D motor gives you a 14% increase in speed along with a 10% increase in torque. The 16MPH listed in the D&D specs is for stock height (18") tires and you are getting 19MPH, so your tires are roughly 21.5" tall.

Going to 48V will up the speed by about 33%, or about 25MPH.

The max recommended RPM for your motor is probably about 6000RPM, so don't exceed 30MPH going downhill.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #14
Piperporsche180
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
48v will bump up the speed a bit over 36v...are you running a stock controller? i am about to get a 500 amp Alltrax from scottyB at carts unlimited...hope you enjoyed your time in my home state!!
Now we're talking! I am running a Curtis Controller, 350-Amp. I absolutely love NC, I spend a lot of time there, Fayetteville, Greensboro, Wilmington, Ashville, Hickory, Charlotte, and a few other destinations. I assist in equipment installations, Publix is a huge customer of ours. If you see the bakery, sub, soup bar, bread wall, and floral cases, we manufacture the majority of them.
Piperporsche180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #15
Piperporsche180
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
48v will bump up the speed a bit over 36v...are you running a stock controller? i am about to get a 500 amp Alltrax from scottyB at carts unlimited...hope you enjoyed your time in my home state!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Piper.....if you are getting 19 mph, seeing as you have a SERIES cart (as do I), when you get home and look under the seat as to what you actually have there (type of controller, etc....) I'd be willing to bet you have an aftermarket controller (that's a good thing).....keep us posted as to what you actually have.
You are correct Sir Nuke! I have a Curtis 350-Amp controller. I am surprised how peppy this thing is for being so heavy!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #16
Piperporsche180
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Be careful letting the motor over spin going down hill with a series cart. The only thing keeping the motor from failure due to high rpms is your right foot.

This is the same reason you should jack up the rear of the cart and hold down the go pedal. That's a sure way to upgrade you motor soon rather than later.

A Series cart is unlike a Sepex cart where the controller limits the rpms and keeps the motor in a safe range of operation.
Oh boy, I've got a heavy foot... Looks like Ill have a bad day in the future. Like I say every time I go to the drag strip with my Z06, go big, tow home. Hahah

Quote:
if you explode a motor by over-revving it WILL kill your controller as well....
Sheesh, that will be an expensive situation. Maybe I should govern it a bit or let the wife drive, HAHA!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #17
Piperporsche180
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Your D&D motor gives you a 14% increase in speed along with a 10% increase in torque. The 16MPH listed in the D&D specs is for stock height (18") tires and you are getting 19MPH, so your tires are roughly 21.5" tall.

Going to 48V will up the speed by about 33%, or about 25MPH.

The max recommended RPM for your motor is probably about 6000RPM, so don't exceed 30MPH going downhill.

Holy smokes! so 48V sounds like it could be a fun adventure! 25mph on flat ground?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #18
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Holy smokes! so 48V sounds like it could be a fun adventure! 25mph on flat ground?
oh yeah.....Piper, look at my sig......as I mentioned earlier, my cart is a series as well.....I have a 500 amp controller, 23" tall tires and recently up the pack to 48v.....and my top end on flat ground is 30 mph!! yeah that puppy fly's!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #19
Piperporsche180
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
oh yeah.....Piper, look at my sig......as I mentioned earlier, my cart is a series as well.....I have a 500 amp controller, 23" tall tires and recently up the pack to 48v.....and my top end on flat ground is 30 mph!! yeah that puppy fly's!!
I need to take some notes and do some of that to mine! 30mph would be insane! I don't think mine will ever be that fast with a 350amp controller.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:24 PM   #20
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i have a Publix 7 miles north of me in skyland...i am just above hendersonville nc,and i do a bit of racing myself-i will be at bristol motor speedway this sunday....take care of that z06-they sure are fun!!!
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO