lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
767Pilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default My 2014 Ezgo TXT48 build

I just purchased a 2014 TXT48 and have decided to do a full rebuild. Ive been watching this site for months getting ideas and have decided to chronicle my build here. I'll be posting lots of pics and describing the ballpark costs involved to anyone considering a rebuild. HUGE thanks to all the posters on this forum for their expertise.

My goal: A fast cart with lots of torque, carries 4 adults and looks good.

So far Ive purchased an Alltrax 500 amp controller to experiment with. I'll more than likely change the motor and gearing as well. If you're considering a motor or controller you've gotta consider SCOTTYB. His prices and expertise are unbeatable. Plus he has the Mode Lock 3 setup that allows different Alltrax modes to be used with a key. You can program the controller to run the cart in "kiddie" mode when the key is removed. Hopefully this prevents my family from destroying this cart!

So, here we go. Cheers to spending stupid money on toys!

I purchased the cart from Ellis County Custom Carts in Midlothian TX. The guy builds and sells some very nice carts but he also sells stock, ex-fleet golf course carts. He literally has hundreds of custom and used fleet carts to choose from. Gas, electric, utility carts with dump beds, you name it, he has it.

Costs,
Cart: 2400
14'' Wheels and tire set: 550
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6525.jpg (161.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6531.jpg (154.3 KB, 0 views)
767Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
767Pilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: My 2014 Ezgo TXT48 build

After about 3 hours of labor I stripped the body from the cart. My intention was to paint the body and upgrade the cart while its disassembled.

I was AMAZED to see the dirt, and wear and tear a fleet cart experiences in only three years of service.

I power washed the cart and found several areas of "hidden" rust. (See pics around bolt holes) I expected some rust in the battery tray but was surprised to see rust in other areas as well.

It looks like I'll be stripping down the frame, sandblasting and painting it...

Pics are before and after power washing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6535.jpg (221.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6542.jpg (228.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6545.jpg (181.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6549.jpg (98.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
767Pilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

In reference to the above post, Stripping the body is very simple. Almost the entire body is held on by rivets. Most of the rivets are very soft (aluminum) and easy to drill out.

IMO theres no better way to fully inspect and build your cart than to remove the body. Rivets can be replaced with a simple Harbor Freight rivet puller.

Watch out for various hidden spacers and bushings along the way (see pic). Would suck to loose them.

Costs,
EZGO rivet replacement kit: 12.00
3 hours of your time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6533.JPG (343.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6534.JPG (443.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
atr42flyer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Pilot View Post
I just purchased a 2014 TXT48 and have decided to do a full rebuild. Ive been watching this site for months getting ideas and have decided to chronicle my build here. I'll be posting lots of pics and describing the ballpark costs involved to anyone considering a rebuild. HUGE thanks to all the posters on this forum for their expertise.

My goal: A fast cart with lots of torque, carries 4 adults and looks good.

So far Ive purchased an Alltrax 500 amp controller to experiment with. I'll more than likely change the motor and gearing as well. If you're considering a motor or controller you've gotta consider SCOTTYB. His prices and expertise are unbeatable. Plus he has the Mode Lock 3 setup that allows different Alltrax modes to be used with a key. You can program the controller to run the cart in "kiddie" mode when the key is removed. Hopefully this prevents my family from destroying this cart!

So, here we go. Cheers to spending stupid money on toys!

I purchased the cart from Ellis County Custom Carts in Midlothian TX. The guy builds and sells some very nice carts but he also sells stock, ex-fleet golf course carts. He literally has hundreds of custom and used fleet carts to choose from. Gas, electric, utility carts with dump beds, you name it, he has it.

Costs,
Cart: 2400
14'' Wheels and tire set: 550
where did you buy the wheels?

Nice Vans in your hangar!

You fly for American? Im a A300 pilot for FX.

I also just pulled the trigger from scotty B. for an entire upgrade on my PDS cart.

good luck can't wait to see it completed.
atr42flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
767Pilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I got the wheels from Ellis County Custom Carts. Seemed like a good price for 14''. Ive seen 12'' and 10" sets for a lot less. I wanted some with street tires as the knobby off road ones wouldn't work well around my neighborhood.

Im an Atlas Air slum dog. Cheers Freight Dog!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #6
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Subscribed to your thread. I really enjoy following people's rebuilds.

You may want to consider por15 for your rust. It worked really well on my rebuild.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A strong second to Orangeman and the POR 15 !!!

A little wire brushing and even if you have to do a little welding
touch up, you cant beat the protection of the product !!!

Good luck on your build !!! We LOVE builds !!!!!
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
767Pilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The rust and corrosion turned out to be a tad bit bigger of an issue than I anticipated. I suppose it makes sense. These carts spend their first few years driving on golf courses that are damp from everyday watering. (Thanks for the POR15 suggestion guys!)

I ended up stripping the entire cart down to the frame, sandblasting then repainting. Instead of paint I had the battery tray sprayed with truck bed liner. Im anxious to see how that holds up.

In true redneck fashion I tied the frame to my overhead bi-fold door and hoisted it up using the door. Worked out well. Below is a pic during re-assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6631.jpg (202.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-30-2017, 12:49 AM   #9
767Pilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After assembling the freshly painted frame I decided to tear down the front end to inspect the components and grease everything.

Even with a cart that is only 3 years old I found a fair amount of metal shavings in the steering rack. The front wheel bearings had a tiny bit of rust as well.

Taking every thing apart and reassembling was very simple. Just be sure to have new cotter pins for the steering and plenty of grease. I amazes me that these carts don't have more grease fittings. I may drill and tap a few grease zerks in the future.

Be sure to do one hub/bearing at a time. You want to keep each bearing with its respective race. DO NOT tighten the castle nut with any tools. Simply tighten by hand as you rotate the hub. Line up a cotter pin hole and install. Notice the way I used the pliers to grip and bend the cotter pin. This is the only way I know to get the pin in tight and secure.

Costs:
Grease - 5
Cotter Pins - 1
New Shocks with hardware - 55 (eBay)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6637.jpg (144.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6638.jpg (154.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6639.jpg (168.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6640.jpg (145.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-30-2017, 01:01 AM   #10
767Pilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Now its time for paint!

The body of my cart was in fairly good shape. No cracks but it did have several deep gouges and nicks.

Painting can be as simple of as through as you make it. I started by cleaning the body with a strong degreaser. I then sanded with a pneumatic DA sander and 320 grit sand paper. I then washed the panels again with Presta Scuff Stuff. This Scuff stuff is AMAZING. Use it as a soap with a scotch brite pad and water. It will lightly scuff the surface while degreasing at the same time. Ive never had any sort of oil contamination (fish eyes) with this stuff.

I sprayed a two part epoxy primer. This is rather thick primer that helps fill in the scratches. I then used a bit of body putty to fill in the small nicks and cracks. I again sanded with 320 grit to finish off the body work and again sprayed primer over the worked surfaces. Once the primer was dry I wet sanded with 400 grit then 600 grit to smooth out the surface. I finished by washing everything yet again with Presta Scuff Stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6641.jpg (156.1 KB, 0 views)

Tags
alltrax, paint, wheels
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO