lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2017, 01:15 AM   #11
767Pilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: My 2014 Ezgo TXT48 build

Now its time for color and clear.

I decided to use a dark, gun-metal grey. This particular paint has a lot of metal flake. If you've never sprayed a metal flake it can be a bit tricky. The secret is to move back and fourth in the same directions. Either horizontal passes or vertical passes, not both.

This was a two stage paint meaning the color dries dull and requires a clear coat. There are plenty of single stage paints available that spray as a gloss and you don't need to add a clear coat. I prefer clear coats for their durability.

IF you've never painted before its really not that hard. Harbor freight actually sells some fairly decent beginner guns. More professional guns can cost a lot more. I use a DeVilbiss HVLP gun that costs about 400 dollars, but a beginner gun can cost as little as 40 bucks. You'll also need a good air compressor, line filter and water separator. Spend a few hours on Youtube watching painting videos. Go to an automotive paint store and ask for any unclaimed paint that was mixed but never picked up. You can usually get them for next to nothing. Spend some time practicing on scrap metal and such. You'll learn the technique in no time and will save a ton of money paining your own cart yourself. Ive heard paint shops quote 500-1000 bucks just to paint a golf cart body! Be sure you have a safe area to paint. The overspray can travel a long way and sticks to EVERYTHING.

Pictured below is the cowl before and after clear coat is applied. Huge Difference.

Costs:
Paint color and clear - 150
Misc sandpaper and supplies - 40
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6642.jpg (179.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6643.jpg (166.5 KB, 0 views)
767Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2017, 01:33 AM   #12
767Pilot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

While my paint dried I decided to start work on the controller.

There's a ton of threads on here dedicated to controller installs so ill keep mine brief.

I installed the Alltrax XCT-48500 controller with the 400 amp solenoid and universal mounting bracket. I got everything from ScottyB at cartsunlimited.net . He provided everything I needed and a ton of helpful advice.

I decided to mount mine directly to the old heat sink using the universal mount. The mount is optional but it worth it! My heat sink being cast aluminum was covered in corrosion from the adjacent batteries. I decided to bead-blast it and paint it. The results were worth it.

I spent a ton of time planning the wire routing. I used wire rap and shielding from amazon to make the install look clean. I had some old terminal boots that I installed atop the solenoid to protect from a short.

I'll also be installing a DC to DC converter to run my 12v accessories as well as a fuse block to isolate the circuits. I'll also install a relay that powers on the DC-DC converter when the key is turned on. I got this idea from sample drawings on the Alltrax website.

When making all my connections I coated everything with dielectric grease for protection and continuity. Every connection has been covered in heat shrink and harnesses are wrapped in wire rap.

Costs:
Alltrax Controller, Mount and Solenoid (see ScottyB at cartsunlimited.net, his price was the best)
Misc wire rap and heat shrink: 30 amazon
Dielectric grease: 7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6644.jpg (156.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6645.jpg (140.4 KB, 0 views)
767Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
Venteuri
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

excellent thread, great work!

I just got what It may be a brother cart of yours. I got it on EBAY from a guy in Texas.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #14
Venteuri
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

this is mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Archivo 03-10-17 13 55 27.jpg (45.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Archivo 03-10-17 13 55 53.jpg (54.4 KB, 0 views)
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alltrax, paint, wheels
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO