lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
txd
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default motor options and opinions

i have a 2001 pds, lifted, 22" tires with an alltrax 500a controller, HD solenoid, 2ga cables. the motor is an older plum quick (made by AMD) and it has 6-8 bars on the commutator that are damaged. 5-6 of the bars are burned and 2-3 are broken.

can the bars be replaced by typical diy folks, or best done by a professional? would it be cost effective to repair this motor or purchase a new or used replacement?

given this is an oxymoron, what would be the cheapest replacement? a stock size motor or something else?
txd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: motor options and opinions

If it was me I would get another motor, whether used or new is up to you. I have a feeling you can’t repair/ replace commutator bars on the armature, but I have a feeling it’s not worth the trouble to try
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:03 AM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well if your motor now is a high speed motor then yeah I guess the cheapest replacement is a good used factory motor
Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by txd View Post
i have a 2001 pds, lifted, 22" tires with an alltrax 500a controller, HD solenoid, 2ga cables. the motor is an older plum quick (made by AMD) and it has 6-8 bars on the commutator that are damaged. 5-6 of the bars are burned and 2-3 are broken.

can the bars be replaced by typical diy folks, or best done by a professional? would it be cost effective to repair this motor or purchase a new or used replacement?

given this is an oxymoron, what would be the cheapest replacement? a stock size motor or something else?
Many decades ago, commutators used to be an assembly that was heated and pressed onto a cooled motor shaft, and they could be changed. Since then, things changed, and commutators were epoxied to the shaft and could no longer be replaced. You may be able to find a used armature in a motor boneyard. Most cart repair shops I've been to have piles of old motors outside that they will let you pick through to buy for parts.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Many decades ago, commutators used to be an assembly that was heated and pressed onto a cooled motor shaft, and they could be changed. Since then, things changed, and commutators were epoxied to the shaft and could no longer be replaced. You may be able to find a used armature in a motor boneyard. Most cart repair shops I've been to have piles of old motors outside that they will let you pick through to buy for parts.

Bob
Lol yep we do too, only they are inside on a high shelf. Maybe 30-50 motors up there
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO