lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #31
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

Default Re: Exactly what is Speed code 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCreosote View Post
On the other hand, I'd rather not spend $450 plus labor for a new motor controller, unless I have to.
If it was me I would use the $100 speed code option toward a 300amps controller. Sell the old one on EBay for $150 or more.

Take a look at this sponsors page. He does an excellent job of telling it like it is. Also an excellent person to do business with.

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/u...ages-precedent
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #32
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

MrCreosote,

If you put a speed code in your cart, it would still do 13 MPH up hill, but your speed on level terrain and downhill slopes would increase. People are often misled by the speed code by thinking it will make their car run 19.6 mph everywhere it goes. The only thing that happens when you install a speed code is enable the controller to "allow" for 19.6MPH before it starts to regulate speed.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:52 PM   #33
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out2Sea View Post
If it was me I would use the $100 speed code option toward a 300amps controller. Sell the old one on EBay for $150 or more.

Take a look at this sponsors page. He does an excellent job of telling it like it is. Also an excellent person to do business with.

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/u...ages-precedent
Thank you, sir.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #34
MrCreosote
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you for this input guys.

So, to make sure I understand, changing the speed code will only help speed on the flat and downhill - it will ALLOW more speed.

If I go with an upgraded controller, I will get both more speed and torque? It would also go up hills easier without so much loss of speed?

As this is a cart I plan to use and keep for many years, I'd rather do it right, than do it cheap.

Can you give me a rough idea of what I should expect to have a new controller installed?
MrCreosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #35
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

A simple answer to your questions is yes you will have more speed and torque with an aftermarket controller. I installed an Altrax XCT500 on my '02 DS IQ running 22x11.00x10s and have a major torque improvement plus run 24-25mph. I have dialed back the amps to 400 to live with my stock motor and installed 2ga. cables as well. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Now if I can save up for the FSIP speed motor or the Executioner......
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:38 PM   #36
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCreosote View Post
As this is a cart I plan to use and keep for many years, I'd rather do it right, than do it cheap?
Given this statement then I would go more amps then 300. You can detune a larger controller down to 300 so as not to be forced into Expensive upgrades to handle more amps at the beginning.

You’re in control now if you want to phase in upgrades over time, or go all in at the very beginning. Thinking you’ll be happy with just a detuned controller to get what you want. Won’t be long after, and you’ll want more fun and be positioned to go that route without buying a new controller.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #37
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Mr Creosote,

Your 2016 Precedent has the good motor in it. This factory motor can handle up to 400 amps of power. You have the option of installing a 400 amp controller, or installing a 500 amp controller and detuning it for a future motor upgrade. The Alltrax controller is easily tuned with the free Alltrax software, but can be pre-programmed prior to shipping to you so you don't have to mess with it. With a bigger controller, you need a bigger solenoid and a bigger power delivery system. By this, I mean power cables. All of the existing 6 gauge wiring needs to be upgraded to a minimum of 4 gauge with the 400 amp, and 2 gauge with the 500 amp controller. The solenoid needs to be a minimum of a 200A continuous duty with the 400 amp controller, and a 400 amp continuous duty with the 500 amp version of the Alltrax XCT controller. These are simple upgrades and any questions you may have regarding the install can be answered easily on this forum.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #38
chaput87
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out2Sea View Post
Given this statement then I would go more amps then 300. You can detune a larger controller down to 300 so as not to be forced into Expensive upgrades to handle more amps at the beginning.

You’re in control now if you want to phase in upgrades over time, or go all in at the very beginning. Thinking you’ll be happy with just a detuned controller to get what you want. Won’t be long after, and you’ll want more fun and be positioned to go that route without buying a new controller.
I'd completely agree. It's not that much to get a bigger controller and make sure you are set for the future, It's almost always worth spending a little more. I am going to go the same exact route once I get my 6 seater project cart.

I already have my lithium battery I'll be transfering from my current cart which was a great investment.
chaput87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car