lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
Ankrom22
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Stock 2012 TXT Speed

I’m new to the golf cart club. Just purchased a 2012 EZGO TXT 48V. Like it so far, but could use some more speed! It’s mostly stock but I did upgrade to 14” wheels with 20.5” tires and HD springs.

I did a speedometer app test and I’m getting a consistent 14mph at top speed. Reading some threads here it sounds like I am stuck I’m the factory non-freedom mode, and unlocking that will bump it up to 19mph? My next thought is to ask my local dealer if they can update it (for small fee).

My main question would be the next best upgrade option past freedom mode? I’ve looked at the Alltrax sepex TXT48 controllers, but I’m not sure which amperage, or if I can just update the controller, solenoid, and cables without also having to upgrade the motor.

What can I realistically expect for higher speeds (24-26ish mph), and the best bang for the buck?
Ankrom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
Theflyinglineman
Gone Wild

Default Re: Stock 2012 TXT Speed

I have a '14 txt. It has a 6"lift, 14"rims with 23" street fox tires,rear seat extended top, stock motor (runs cool all day) 600 amp Navitas controller with OTF upgrade, 1/0 battery cables. My cart runs 23mph with me my Wife and daughter. I have seen 27-28 by myself with a slight tail wind. If you buy the Navitas you will not need to take it to deals to get programmed.
Thanks
Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (153.2 KB, 0 views)
Theflyinglineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

An Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 is user programmable via a USB cable to a computer.

The stock controller is 250A, so a 400A XCT will offset the 12% torque loss of the taller tires.

The stock TXT-48 motor can handle a XCT48500.

Top speed on level ground with stock height tires (18") is about 24MPH, so you ought to get about 27MPH with 20.5" tall tires, unless they are the low pressure type.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Theflyinglineman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
An Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 is user programmable via a USB cable to a computer.

The stock controller is 250A, so a 400A XCT will offset the 12% torque loss of the taller tires.

The stock TXT-48 motor can handle a XCT48500.

Top speed on level ground with stock height tires (18") is about 24MPH, so you ought to get about 27MPH with 20.5" tall tires, unless they are the low pressure type.
I have a question you will probably be able to answer. My '14 TXT with stock motor, 600 amp controller,23"tires, 6" lift, 1/0 battery and motor cables, stock solenoid runs 23 mph on flat ground how could a '12 with a 400 amp controller run 27? I have hit 27-28 with a tail wind. Do you think the solenoid is holding me back?
Thanks
Adam
Theflyinglineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
Ankrom22
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

My local dealer is coming by on Thursday to program the stock controller to give it the extra freedom mode boost. If that isn’t satisfying enough, it sounds like the Alltrax 400a with an HD solenoid and good cables may be my next step. Thanks for feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2018, 12:23 AM   #6
Ankrom22
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I tested the cart after the freedom mode program by my local dealer it's a noticeably higher top speed. Using a phone app, it was saying around 21-22 on flat stretches. It's not as fast as some of the other carts around the neighborhood, but it's plenty for me right now. On to my next project!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theflyinglineman View Post
I have a question you will probably be able to answer. My '14 TXT with stock motor, 600 amp controller,23"tires, 6" lift, 1/0 battery and motor cables, stock solenoid runs 23 mph on flat ground how could a '12 with a 400 amp controller run 27? I have hit 27-28 with a tail wind. Do you think the solenoid is holding me back?
Thanks
Adam
Sorry I did get back to you sooner, the e-mail notifications to subscribed threads are being cantankerous and this one didn't come through.

In general terms amps generate torque and volts generate speed, so the number of amps a controller will allow the motor to draw doesn't determine the top speed of the cart. In fact, the main difference between a controller with a 400A throughput and on with a 600A throughput is the torque the motor can generate at RPMs at or less than the RPM at which the motor is capable of drawing 400A.

In other words, a 48V TXT cart with 18" tall tires that will do 24MPH with a 400A controller will do 24MPH with a 600A controller.

Without the 4400 RPM limit imposed by the stock controller, an otherwise stock TXT-48 can do roughly 24MPH on a smooth and level paved road.

If the stock 18" tall tires are replaced with 20.5" tall tires, the mathematically increases by about 14% to about 27.5 MPH, but the increased tire height also decreases the torque were rubber meets road by about 12% throughout the motor's RPM spectrum, so the cart's real top speed will be somewhat less than the theoretical top speed.

With 23" tall tires, you get a mathematical 28% speed gain with a 22% torque loss and your cart's theoretical top speed is about 31MPH. If the top speed is only 23MPH, something is holding it back.

The solenoid might be part of the reason, especially if the contacts are burnt and there is a significant voltage drop across the closed contacts. The tires are the most likely suspect if they are the off-road low pressure type.

Dragging brake or bad bearings and other mechanical drags might exist.

If the is a windshield, the wind resistance will be high.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theflyinglineman View Post

Thanks

Adam

It’s all about the motor Map with sepex motors. Alltrax has done a lot of testing with all of their motor maps and constantly update them as well.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #9
luthert
Not Yet Wild

Did that 600amp controller not burn up that stock motor? Looking at doing a 440a or 600a. This is a cart i’m going to end up selling so not wanting to put a ton of money just a little more power to get up hills. My 36v literally crawls up hills but runs just fine on flat surfaces
luthert is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO