lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default Signs of brushes in motor going out...

Are there any tell tale signs of brushes needing to be replaced in motors? What are the average life span of brushes??
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Signs of brushes in motor going out...

Average lifespan really depends on the motor and how often the cart gets used and what it gets used for. Gentle use, flat land, paved roads, stock setup, I would expect 10 years or more. I had one of my 98s apart earlier this summer because of a rattle from the spline coupler on the motor. Took that one apart and the brushes still had at least 50% left. But It only sees seasonal use, about 4 months of the year.

Have an 02 apart right now that the brushes wore completely out, and it normally gets year round use.

Normally when brushes wear to a point where they don't make good contact with the armature the cart wont move at all. If you push the cart and the brushes change position a bit then it will move and usually will drive fine, until you stop again. The motor will usually operate just fine, have the same power, same speed, until they're totally shot, then all of a sudden it will hardly move.

The 02 I mentioned had kind of a strange shudder when starting. Very slight, and only for the first 1-2 feet of movement. After that it drove fine. Did that for a few days then it was fine for about a week. Then one day it wouldn't move at all. I could push it and get it to move on it's own, but it didn't have any power. Would maybe go 5mph on flat ground. For the 2 weeks prior to that it drove fine, had normal power and speed, and would climb all of the hills here just fine.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Would worn brushes cause excess heat and/or failure on other components or battery terminals??
Old 08-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Maybe eventually, but you're going to notice the performance difference from the motor before it will affect anything else. Poor brush contact in the motor will burn whats left of the brushes before it burns battery terminals or damages a controller.

There are other reasons a motor will draw excessive current.
Are you having a problem with heat in the battery terminals or cables?
Usually excess heat on battery terminals is due to poor connection and corrosion on the terminals. They have to be 100% CLEAN. Shiny silver lead on the terminals, and shiny copper on the cable ends. If there is ANY discoloration, that's due to a layer of oxidation/corrosion and it will not make a proper connection, and will cause heating of the terminal.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
twilliams81
Gone Wild

10-4 I've just noticed on alot of the EZGO series carts that there's heat build up on cables coming from the motors, the F&R switch assembly even when it's new, etc.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car