lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default 1995 Medalist? (series motor)

I know I've been posting a lot of questions, but I'm new to carts and so far I've really been helped out a lot along the way and it's greatly appreciated. I finally got all the wiring straightened out (at least I think) and I hooked up 36 volts to the cart from my sons electric dirt bike batteries. it has three 12volt 12ah batteries. The solenoid clicks as soon as I turn the key on, but when I press the throttle, the tires move a little bit and then stop, it's the same thing in reverse. The reverse buzzer comes on. Is the solenoid supposed to click when the throttle is pressed down, because it isn't? Could it be that the small amp hour batteries just don't have enough power to make the motor spin? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4344.jpg (65.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4345.jpg (77.7 KB, 0 views)
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1995 Medalist? (series motor)

Okay, I did a few tests. I'm getting pack voltage to the battery side large terminal of the solenoid, but I'm also getting the same reading to the controller side large solenoid terminal (resistor installed) no drop in voltage. If I disconnect the resistor, I see about a 3 volt drop. With the key on, my battery test lead from my DVM on the main battery pack negative and the red test lead on the small solenoid terminal with the red wire, I have full battery pack voltage, but as soon as I press the throttle, It goes down to about 20 volts. Again, I'm not sure if this is because of the small 12 volt batteries or if there is another issue.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What is the 3X12V 12AH battery pack voltage before you press the pedal?
What is the battery pack voltage after you press the pedal?

The 12AH battery pack probably won't move the half ton cart.

Lift rear tires off ground (put on jack stands) and it might have enough oomph to turn the wheels when they are in the air.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You either have a bad throttle microswitch, or the 4 wire Molex connector that connects the wiring harness to the throttle box is bad/shorted.

Solenoid should NOT click when you turn on the key with no throttle.

Actually, it's also possible the pedal isn't coming all the way up. The easiest test is simply raise the pedal.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
What is the 3X12V 12AH battery pack voltage before you press the pedal?
What is the battery pack voltage after you press the pedal?

The 12AH battery pack probably won't move the half ton cart.

Lift rear tires off ground (put on jack stands) and it might have enough oomph to turn the wheels when they are in the air.
Yeah, I kinda figured that, so all testing was done with the rear wheels off the ground. The battery pack voltage is 40 volts before I press the pedal and it goes down to 20 volts when i'm pressing the pedal. This reading was taken with my dvm black lead on the battery negative and the red lead on the small terminal on the solenoid with the red wire.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
You either have a bad throttle microswitch, or the 4 wire Molex connector that connects the wiring harness to the throttle box is bad/shorted.

Solenoid should NOT click when you turn on the key with no throttle.

Actually, it's also possible the pedal isn't coming all the way up. The easiest test is simply raise the pedal.
I rewired the Molex connector. I connected the red and green wire with butt connectors. The black and white wire seem fine and I confirmed that with a continuity test with my dvm. As far as the bad throttle microswitch, it's doing the same thing in forward and reverse, aren't there separate switches for each?
I'll have to check the pedal later. Taking my son to a party. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
I rewired the Molex connector. I connected the red and green wire with butt connectors. The black and white wire seem fine and I confirmed that with a continuity test with my dvm. As far as the bad throttle microswitch, it's doing the same thing in forward and reverse, aren't there separate switches for each?
I'll have to check the pedal later. Taking my son to a party. Thanks for all the help.
There's just one throttle switch, and it's located inside the throttle box.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
Yeah, I kinda figured that, so all testing was done with the rear wheels off the ground. The battery pack voltage is 40 volts before I press the pedal and it goes down to 20 volts when i'm pressing the pedal. This reading was taken with my dvm black lead on the battery negative and the red lead on the small terminal on the solenoid with the red wire.
Try it with the DVM red test lead actually on the battery pack's main positive terminal. Otherwise, there are several feet of small gauge wire and a couple alligator clip connections dropping voltage as amps pass through them.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #9
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Try it with the DVM red test lead actually on the battery pack's main positive terminal. Otherwise, there are several feet of small gauge wire and a couple alligator clip connections dropping voltage as amps pass through them.
I’ll do that as soon as I get home and let you know what I get.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #10
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
There's just one throttle switch, and it's located inside the throttle box.
My bad, I thought you were referring to the micro switches on the side of the forward/reverse switch.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO